Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Alpha Cold Air Intake (Non-Existent)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 AM
Default H3 Alpha Cold Air Intake (Non-Existent)

I recently upgraded to an Alpha, and I am perplexed that there is no options for Cold Air Intake. What's this all about? They have them for the 3.5, and 3.7, but nothing for the 5.3. Is the Airbox and intake on the Alpha so top notch nobody could do any better? I've seen the AirDoc, but that's just the tube, and it reuses the existing Box. What about something from another vehicle? Like a K&N for a Silverado with the 5.3 or something. I think the lack of options is kinda strange to be honest.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM

probably because there is not enough demand for one on the alpha.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 PM

As rep from the K&N R&D department said to me"it has a straight air tube how do you improve the air flow"

Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Special news flash...... even the OEM panel filter in that "existing box" outflows a K&N cone filter on the end of an open 3.5" pipe. Bump that to a high flow OEM replacement air filter. The weak link IS the OEM shape and resonator chambers.

Closed systems work.

There are not enough GMT 355 and 345s (H3s) for the big boys to bother with. Volant gave up on them after initially offering an intake that suffered from fitment issues. There is also a significant challenge to making intakes for the Alpha that does not justify a scale investment such as with the cookie cutter trucks.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Closed systems work. ....
YES, they do !!!

Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 AM

Closed systems work.
X3. We wouldn't wheel with an open system. Then again we don't own street queens. We have AirDocs on our Alphas (H3 & H3T) with AFE Pro Dry Filters (none of that oil crap K&N junk that just fouls us your MAF). Remove, wash, dry, reinstall.

Been running AirDoc Alpha system on every one since 08. Better mid range power and it gets rid of that nasty bottle neck 90 degree that the OEM has to smooth the throttle response all the way form idle to redline. Take your OEM off and a look at how it tapers to a 2.5" opening at the bend...

Old 09-07-2014, 02:11 AM

The weak link IS the OEM shape and resonator chambers.
The resonator chamber is in the Tube right? There has to be some improvement by eliminating the Resonator. Is this the purpose of the AirDoc's unit?

Take your OEM off and a look at how it tapers to a 2.5" opening at the bend
I'm assuming this is the bend in front of the Throttle Body.?

Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
X3. We wouldn't wheel with an open system. Then again we don't own street queens. We have AirDocs on our Alphas (H3 & H3T) with AFE Pro Dry Filters (none of that oil crap K&N junk that just fouls us your MAF). Remove, wash, dry, reinstall.

Been running AirDoc Alpha system on every one since 08. Better mid range power and it gets rid of that nasty bottle neck 90 degree that the OEM has to smooth the throttle response all the way form idle to redline. Take your OEM off and a look at how it tapers to a 2.5" opening at the bend...
What is the part number for your AFE Pro Dry Filters

Old 03-26-2021, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bryan Gifford
What is the part number for your AFE Pro Dry Filters
At my place of business... we recommend the AFE Pro Dry-S for the 2008+ H3s P# 31-10171 Got one in my 09 Alpha Off Road with our intake.

However, if over oiling is not a concern, there is nothing wrong with a K&N P# 33-2408.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:54 AM

READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'
At my place of business... we recommend the AFE Pro Dry-S for the 2008+ H3s P# 31-10171 Got one in my 09 Alpha Off Road with our intake.

However, if over oiling is not a concern, there is nothing wrong with a K&N P# 33-2408.

Quick Reply: H3 Alpha Cold Air Intake (Non-Existent)