Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Getting a Rancho Lift!!- Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Default Getting a Rancho Lift!!- Advice

We'll I've decided to spend some of my money on a Rancho Lift Kit for my 2006 Hummer H3. I've had the torsion bars cranked at 24" for about 5k miles and realizing it's not great for the suspension I'm upgrading! I have a few questions for you guys cause I know a decent amount have this set up.

1. I'm looking for new shocks. Thinking of Fox shocks 2.0. Good or No?
2. I'm going to keep the stock rims and add 1.5 spacers. Any website that has durable ones?
3. Will I need to "uncrank" the torsion bars and take off the rear shackles and torsion key?

Thanks a lot for the input. Appreciate it guys

Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 PM

So.. Nothing then?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 AM

I could be wrong, but I dont think a lot of people have them installed? Some but not as many as you are thinking. I believe most are happy enough with what we have.
But from what I hear Fox 2.0 are good shocks. Went with bilstein, but didn't wanna fork over the dough for 2.0's. No clue o the torsion bars, but I am sure someone knows about the spacers. I am pretty sure the spacers cause UN-needed stress though as well.
Good luck.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

People are trying to be nice. Sometimes it is just better to say nothing, unless you have something nice to say.

If you really want advice? Don't bother, your plan ain't so good. An H3 might look cool lifted, but so did the Pontiac Fiero when it first came out... if you get what I mean.

Lower your front to 23.6" and spend your $$ on tires, rock rails, UPC, a winch bumper, and/or performance upgrades.

...."torsion bars cranked at 24" for about 5k miles and realizing it's not great for the suspension I'm upgrading" ... 24" is too high for the front, at 23.5-6" your T Bars/suspension do not give two rat's butts about being "cranked".

Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 PM

Does the rancho lift add any flex to the front or back or does it only lift the truck by 4 inch?
Does it lift the rear diff at all? As far as I know, only larger tires lift the diff.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spencer_Marks
We'll I've decided to spend some of my money on a Rancho Lift Kit for my 2006 Hummer H3. I've had the torsion bars cranked at 24" for about 5k miles and realizing it's not great for the suspension I'm upgrading! I have a few questions for you guys cause I know a decent amount have this set up.

1. I'm looking for new shocks. Thinking of Fox shocks 2.0. Good or No?
2. I'm going to keep the stock rims and add 1.5 spacers. Any website that has durable ones?
3. Will I need to "uncrank" the torsion bars and take off the rear shackles and torsion key?

Thanks a lot for the input. Appreciate it guys

Congrats on the lift. One of the best decisions you'll make regarding your H3.

For spacers. Do what 06h3 and I did. Go with this vendor for your spacers.
https://www.motorsport-tech.com/ Go with 1.75" spacers. 1.5" will cut it very close.

Bilstein shocks for the Chevy 1500 4" to 6" lift are compatible with the H3 with a Rancho lift. 06H3 is also running these with his lift.
Part # is.... Part Number: 24-185950

extended length of 21.38, collapsed length of 14.15

As for the shocks the Fox 2.0 will not fit b/c its for stock height. You will need a set custom tuned to your specs so it can fit the Rancho lift. Get them at the specs listed above and you should be good to go.

You will be very happy with how your H3 handles, post lift. A lot better than the stock suspension.

Good luck with everything and brush the haters off.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sgill
Does the rancho lift add any flex to the front or back or does it only lift the truck by 4 inch?
Does it lift the rear diff at all? As far as I know, only larger tires lift the diff.

You do get more flex when off-roading Yes it does lift the rear. The kit comes with new leaf springs.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sgill
True, only larger diameter tires increase the dif to ground clearance.
You could add a 20" lift and it still would not change your dif to ground dimension.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM

What is in bungers post is why I assumed people didn't get the lift. Put the cab up 6 feet if you wanted too, but too high increases rollover tendencies as well. That lessons the angles you can be at on trails.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BERULAKIDE
What is in bungers post is why I assumed people didn't get the lift. Put the cab up 6 feet if you wanted too, but too high increases rollover tendencies as well. That lessons the angles you can be at on trails.
That's what makes the Rancho kit so great. High enough to help clear bigger obstacles, but not to high to roll it.

Quick Reply: Getting a Rancho Lift!!- Advice