PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Cap Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Thumbs up Gas Cap Info

Ok so my H3 message center indicated Gas Cap and the engine light was on. I had the HUM scanned and came back loose or defective gas cap or PCM. I already had the PCM changed. So with that I bought a new OEM gas cap. How do I turn off the engine light after I installed the new Cap. Do I have to take it in and pay someone to clear the codes? Thanks as always for all your insight.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilJ
Ok so my H3 message center indicated Gas Cap and the engine light was on. I had the HUM scanned and came back loose or defective gas cap or PCM. I already had the PCM changed. So with that I bought a new OEM gas cap. How do I turn off the engine light after I installed the new Cap. Do I have to take it in and pay someone to clear the codes? Thanks as always for all your insight.
Before you buy anything, take a clean cloth and wipe off the rubber gasket on the gas cap and the top of the filler neck where that is supposed to seal when the cap is on. See if it comes back.

Go to an auto parts store and they can clear codes for free.

Next time when you ask a question about codes, post the actual code, not the conclusion supposedly reached by somebody else that scanned it, you will get more help that way.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:00 AM
Default Codes

He didn't give me the code. Just told me what it was. Also, said they were not allowed to clear them or let me clear them because of liability reasons. Didn't know if there was a way I could do it myself is all. I already bought the gas cap and installed it.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:58 AM

Not sure where in michigan you are but just try another auto parts and one of them should be able to clear code. I dont see where there is any liability unless it is break or airbag related. If you live near adrian pm me i will reset your code and send you on your way.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:30 AM

I live in Grayling so almost a state away. lol Thanks, No the code just came up gas cap related. replaced it but light is still on. And. my post said pcm but I meant the pcv? valve. I had heard you could pull the pcm fuses but not sure I should do that or not.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 PM

You can get a cheap code reader on Amazon for under $20. Then you can check & clear your own codes. It'll pay for itself in no time.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:05 PM

My engine light comes on every now and then and it's the gas cap but my DIC never says gas cap. Anyhow I just clean it and tighten it by giving it a few more turns/clicks. The light will go off after a few ignition cycles. I believe it also says this in the manual as well. You can also pull the fuse for the pcm under the hood for a few minutes as well. This works for the engine light as I never had the DIC come on for gas cap. Good Luck.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gomer
My engine light comes on every now and then and it's the gas cap but my DIC never says gas cap. Anyhow I just clean it and tighten it by giving it a few more turns/clicks. The light will go off after a few ignition cycles. I believe it also says this in the manual as well. You can also pull the fuse for the pcm under the hood for a few minutes as well. This works for the engine light as I never had the DIC come on for gas cap. Good Luck.

Thanks we'll try it. Engine light is now off but gas cap light is still on even after a new one was installed.. I unhooked the battery for a few minutes and the engine light went off. However, in doing so I am now back to the doors wont lock and drivers window wont go down. Its always something I tell ya.