PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Front seat backing plastic removal .. plz help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Default Front seat backing plastic removal .. plz help.

*EDIT* I have since worked out how to get them off and made a small video for anyone that wants to see how to get them off.

Hi guys,

Im trying to install the DVD headrests and I see you have to remove the plastic backing from the front seats ... now I can see there are a few clips at the top and bottom but I am unsure of how the clip is released?

I took a pic of the clip (sorry for crap quality its me phone) so maybe you could help me work it out ...

Ive already snapped some of the plastic in my haste lol, so I wont do anymore until someone helps me a bit.

Anyone done these before? It saiz I need a "special tool" but im sure it could probably be done with a screw driver or similiar ...

Its like a 3 prong clip ... it kind of looks like one of those hose clips that you squeeze with pliers that join say ya overflow hose to ya radiatior ...

Thanx guys

Click first video if you want to see what the clips look like and where to push them to make the plastic pop off.

Last edited by Chad; 09-10-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Adding video
Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM

If you look at the plastic piece that is at the top of the back of the seat back, this is the piece that the two chrome rods slide into. You will see a small hole, you can push a small wire in the hole and it releases the head rest. There is only one hole and only one "catch" per headrest
good luck, don't break anything

Sorry I can't make much from your photos

Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Yes I know what you mean for the headrests, I already have them out, just like you said you stick a small pin like object in the hole and they pop out.

This picture is at the top of the seat, pushing the leather back so you can see in behind the plastic backing on the seat ... its the black plastic peice that has the netting on it where you can store things benhind the front seats ... il get another pic

Old 09-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Sorry I was confused about what I was seeing in the picture.
The actual black plastic cover for the back of the front seats is out of my area of expertise.
I am sure it has plastic clips that can be removed, but I am not sure.
AS you already know, even when there are plastic clips that can be removed, they often break and end up being a hassle to fix or replace. Then you end up with a seat back that won't go back on the damn seat.
And you are right, there are proprietary tools for some of these fancy, but brittle plastic clips

More pictures will help

Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM

I added a small video clip to the OP so you can see where it is

Old 09-10-2011, 05:50 PM

Read the post from ukpaul

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...removal-14109/

It says,

For the seatbacks, push in the leather at top back of seat near the top corners of the hard seatback, you'll see a metal clip. Push down in the middle of the clip with a screwdriver and it'll pop out. Do the same with the other side. Then about half way down the sides pull out away from the seat and that will release those two clips. Now the seatback will kind of swivel downwards. You can probably work like that or you can just lift the seatback off. They look like hooks.

Last edited by wfturner; 09-10-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Nice find Turner! Ok the problem I was having (and maybe others?) was that the part in the picture above is NOT the part you push with a screw driver. The part in the picture is on the clip to hold the clip in lol.

Look more toward the front of the seat in front of this part, and youll see another metal piece, that's the piece you press down.

I made a small video so people can see the part better and hopefully they wont break little plastic pieces like I did lol

Video also added to top post.