PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leveling and shocks question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Default leveling and shocks question

hey guys i just ordered this lift/level kit from rough country...Hummer H3 Suspension Lift Kit.
Do i need to replace my shocks in the front? i just put new ones in a month ago. i used the rancho rs9000xl. they wernt the ones made for any lift. I have a feeling i am going to have to replace them...am i correct?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 AM

you don't have to, mine is leveled and running the stock ones, I will eventually but don't have the funds rights now.

you can also get an extension that allows the stock height to work.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 AM

the rancho shocks only have about 2.5 inches of travel were as the stock acdelco ones have over 4 inches. I figured this would cause a problem if i leveled the front 2 inches.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM

As far as your shocks go, you can add a spacer (a 1/2"all-thread nut) to the top shock stud to regain about 1/2" of the travel, but as you pointed out that will likely not be enough to get it back into the proper stroke, or you can fab up a lower shock extension with minimal effort. Someone used to sell them pre-made, but I haven't seen them offered lately. There are some pics around here somewhere.

Not sure why Rough Country bills that as a leveling kit, because once you add the rear shackles and crank the torsion bars to the normally recommended max height, the vehicle will retain roughly the same rake as before. If you skip the rear shackles, then it would leveling the rig, but then again, without the shackles there is nothing you'd need to buy as the torsion key spacers they include are unnecessary on the H3.
On that same note, not sure why Rough Country advertises you can now fit 33" tires with their kit when the H3 rolled off the assembly line on 33's and can fit 35's with no lift at all.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM

yeah i dont think they know what their talking about. I'll probably just end up buying new shocks. oddly enough i found some that are for a 1 - 2.5 inch lift that are half the price of what i paid for ones with no lift...same brand too. same website...partsgeek.com

Old 05-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Looking at the kit in the link it appears ot comes with the shock spacers.

I wonder if using the torsion key spacer allows for more front lift than not using it?? Like you add the shackles, and now you can still level the vehicle?

Let us know how it goes once fitted. Photos would be great as well

Old 05-17-2013, 01:24 PM

will do aussie h3. it will probably be a week or so before its done. i just ordered new shocks today and the level kit yesterday.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM

Are you going to level it after fitting the shackles?? Or just lift it and still have the rake??

I am intrigued as I have wondered if it is possible to lift the front of the H3 a bit more than the standard leveling.

I have recently leveled my H3 and fitted 33" tyres and like the look, legally (where i live) I could now lift the whole truck another inch or so but not sure on how to go about it. If the torsion key spacer and new shocks allow the front to be raised another inch over what it is now I will make a spacer, buy new shocks and reset the rear springs (extended shackles are banned here) but I can get the springs raised for about $150-180.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM

the proper way to lift a vehicle with independent front suspenesion is to drop the front differential and put spacers between it and the frame. this is time consuming and expensive. you could always do a 1" body lift on your rig. its alot cheaper then a suspension lift.
i wanted just to level it out. if you watch the video at the bottom of the page on the link it says that the rear shakles are there to accomodate the front lift and keep it level.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:12 PM

You can only raise the front 24" max with the torsion bar adjustment.
You can waste money on reindexing keys but you still can only go to 24" max.
That is approx. level with stock rear shackles.
If you add longer rear shackles you will be raked again.

You CANNOT adjust the front any higher. The IFS cannot handle the extreme angles.

Quick Reply: leveling and shocks question