Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 06:32 AM
Default Fog Lights

I had one of my fog light bulbs finally die after 8 years. My plan is to replace it with a HID kit (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...oto-elite.html) to match the STARR headlights. Since this is a little more work than just swapping a bulb, what is the easiest way to get to the housing? Remove the wheel well lining?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Remove the front bumper. The tow ring bolts and 4 more bolts underneath (2 on each side), plus some clips is all that holds it on. Takes less that 30 minutes.

Here is a step by step on a 2008 for a BA Winch bumper install, just stick with the beginning.Boulder Accessories Bumper and Winch install "step by step"

This is mine removed, easy complete access to the fog lights.
Name:  DSC02170.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  192.1 KB

Old 09-16-2016, 01:17 PM

Thanks, is the space also accessible from the wheel well? Out of curiosity, anyone know the thread on the battery terminal (that little bolt that sticks up)?

Last edited by CARdiac; 09-16-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CARdiac
Thanks, is the space also accessible from the wheel well? Out of curiosity, anyone know the thread on the battery terminal (that little bolt that sticks up)?
Not so much, but you can reach them from the bottom when the front skid plate is removed. You can lay on your back and reach up in there, but it is tight.

I guess what I should have explained in my first post is, it will take you as long, more likely longer,to remove a single wheel well (and there is one on each side) as it will to remove the bumper. I can take a bumper off an H3 in about 15 minutes, done it may times. If it's your first go round, plan on 30. Hence my comment.

You do not want to use the factory battery terminal connectors, complete junk. Replace with a quality aftermarket set, like Stingers. The bolt is metric, I think 8MM x 1.25.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:36 PM

(that little bolt that sticks up)?
if you cut the clamp but not the cable you can use that bolt to make solid connection with a good connector. ill find a pix of mine...soon!

keep factory crimp , add brass conn,, solid

Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights-pos-term.jpg  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:48 AM

I have a set of these laying around the garage:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was planning on using them.

Wish me luck, I am going to try the install (among other things) tonight.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the help. Here is a picture of the finished product with my STARR headlights. It does not come through that well on the picture, but these are significantly brighter than the stock.

Last edited by CARdiac; 09-23-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:57 PM

I had some challenges getting the system to work initially, but I think that was because I had not installed the battery connections that well because I was testing before the full install. I put the relay and the ballast behind the driver's side lamp. The cable for the ballast is shorted so location was limited. I ran the battery cables up through the small gap in the trim bellow the headlights right up to the battery.

The passenger side was the other ballast. The kit has plenty of cable to rum under the radiator shroud. Since you only need the one OEM connection (DS) so I taped off the head of the ps oem connector.

Just to be safe, I used dielectric grease one each connector.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:59 PM

I have to say, the kit is VERY well made.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 AM

i took a drive on the back roads with no street lights and the fogs a seriously bright! They overpowered the Starrs like you would not believe. I drove for about 45 minutes and check the heat, the lens was warm but not so much that I could not keep my hand on it without discomfort.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights