Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Happy to share!

Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Here's a tip I forgot to mention. There is a sound deadener/insulation on the firewall with cutouts for screws, hoses, wire looms, etc., AND THE DRAIN GROMMETS. When you push the grommets back into place, you need to feel with your fingers to be sure the grommet flanges re-seat on the metal firewall, and are not riding up on the insulation, otherwise the grommet won't be fully in place, and can pop out.......and you know where all the drain water will go then!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:16 PM

The rear grommets are like the rubber tubing sort of pinched shut,flat and the water pushes them open. I cut a small notch in the center of the flat end to be sure there would always be an opening.
Being soft rubber they are tricky to get to stay in place without bumping them loose in the tight place you need to work. Test them before you do the tedious reassembly.
I got some water inside the first time i did it because I poured in too much too quick. Under normal rain there is just a trickle.
I still test them once a month.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Many thanks Broken Halo, awesome detail/info.. Just performed the mod and sunroof drainage fixed --no more water pooling on driver-side floor or sprinkles from the On-Star mic after periods of rain..

on My 2007 H3, I wound up performing the fix without removing the 'A' pillar trim panels or removing the hose/mounts --wound up just pulling the drain tubes out/off of the firewall grommets and then removed the grommets to perform the "X" cut-out ...then re-inserted grommet, then re-inserted drain tube into grommet..

**as soon as i removed drain hose from firewall grommet all the blocked water flowed/rushed right out --so may want to place some rags around hose-end/grommet to catch water.. The flow of water may also have cleared any residual clogging debris..

**I also ran/fed/worked some light wire from the top of the drain tubes to verify no other obstructions just in case, but all the blockage appears to be at the "X" opening at firewall grommet as mentioned..

**Was also able to reach right up from the floor area on drivers side --need to reach up to the left a bit then right and feel around a bit for the grommet, but then easy access.. passenger side through the side dash panel can be a bit tight as mentioned but seems to be only access point..

Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by jnonny
Many thanks Broken Halo, awesome detail/info.. Just performed the mod and sunroof drainage fixed --no more water pooling on driver-side floor or sprinkles from the On-Star mic after periods of rain..

on My 2007 H3, I wound up performing the fix without removing the 'A' pillar trim panels or removing the hose/mounts --wound up just pulling the drain tubes out/off of the firewall grommets and then removed the grommets to perform the "X" cut-out ...then re-inserted grommet, then re-inserted drain tube into grommet..

**as soon as i removed drain hose from firewall grommet all the blocked water flowed/rushed right out --so may want to place some rags around hose-end/grommet to catch water.. The flow of water may also have cleared any residual clogging debris..

**I also ran/fed/worked some light wire from the top of the drain tubes to verify no other obstructions just in case, but all the blockage appears to be at the "X" opening at firewall grommet as mentioned..

**Was also able to reach right up from the floor area on drivers side --need to reach up to the left a bit then right and feel around a bit for the grommet, but then easy access.. passenger side through the side dash panel can be a bit tight as mentioned but seems to be only access point..
Did mine the same way as you. Didn't need to remove any trim other than the passenger side dash access panel.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Did mine the same way as you. Didn't need to remove any trim other than the passenger side dash access panel.
Just did mine this way. 3 mins and done. I didn't have any tape holding things together. Literally just popped the grommet off of the firewall and out of the tube (driver side).

DONE! Ready for a monsoon now! You guys rock!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Default How the hell? lol...

So being "mechanically challenged", I have no idea if I should even try to get to the left side plug (behind Tach). I was able to do the right side, cut the X out, and the water drained. That is the good news. The bad news is that now when it rains or snows, and Ill remind you that I am in Connecticut...lol...I have to park my H3 so is is lower in the front and tilted toward the right so that all of the water in the sunroof catch basin drains out the right side. You can imagine how stupid it looks to park on a few 2x4's to make that happen. lol.

How easy is the left drain to get to? I have looked at all the pictures and am still lost...and the dealership wants like $500 to do it! Help!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Difficult to get up there and take some good pics....sorry. It CAN be seen with a flashlight without moving any harnesses, etc. (that's how it was possible to take the picture). You will probably have to go by the braille system and stick your hand up in that area and feel around. It's going to be behind the tach area and on the firewall. You'll be able to feel a ridged tube going into the rubber grommet.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Dear Broken Halo:

I do have this problem and was so happy to see your post after searching numerous websites, going to mechanics/body shops all who seemed to be at a loss. I was certain that it wasn't the sunroof as whenever I checked the well around the sunroof it was dry dry dry. After testing the drains the culprit obviously was the drain above the passenger side (where the rug is now soaked through the padding, ugh!) We're going to (attempt) to dismantle and reassemble the drainage tubes as you described....wish me luck and no rain! Thank you so much I feel so relieved knowing where to start.
Suzin

Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM

Great Info...
Thanx for sharing...

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes