Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Nope. The tube is clogged at the bottom where the 'X' is and the water is backing up the tube and overflowing into the sunroof trough and overflowing into the headliner.
Thanks for your response.

Poured water drains out of the trough thru the drain holes and visibly drips out below the glove box on the passenger side -- and near the parking brake on the drivers side.

But I also saw it drip from the On-Star mic during a heavy rain a few days ago.

I can do this, just need some guidance as to which direction to go, thanks. Am I clogged or disconnected...or both?

Old 11-27-2015, 04:49 PM

assume the tubing is plugged.the overflow goes over the headliner,,,anywhere it wants to.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:32 AM

Mine wasn't. I performed this a couple years ago and have never had another leak. I took out the rubber pieces in the firewall on both sides and cut the middle out. Mine would leak huge amounts of water in both places.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Even if the drains are completely plugged, pouring CLEAN SHOWER in the tray and letting it sit for a while will usually clear the drains. Once they drain, pour some more in to do a bit of a flush. After that, pour some in the tray every time you change the oil and the drains will continue to drain properly.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM

There is always the chance that one of the drain tubes is disconnected on top.
Especially if someone tried to unclog the tube using compressed air. It's just a push on fit, tube to barb.
If the tube is disconnected you would need to drop the headliner and reattach the tube.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:57 AM

Sure ..........my suggestion would not magically reattach any disconnected tubes!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:58 PM

Cool, thanks all for the insight.

I believe I'm suffering from BOTH afflictions. Water doesn't pool in the trough -- it just pours out under the glove box and near the parking park.

I've blown out with compressed air several times so I'm undoubtedly disconnected as well as clogged. I'm just gonna do everything -- a-frames AND the headliner. And it's gonna suck.

Doing it this Tuesday, Dec 8th. Any encouragement or advise is always welcomed.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:11 AM

When you reattach the tubes, put zip ties tightly on each pipe/tube.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:44 PM

Great advice again from Tainter ...

Take it all apart and start over, my opinion.

Good luck.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:18 PM

DONE!!! BOTH tubes were disconnected at the trough/under the headliner.

No clogs in either one, weird. I'm not even sure how that could have happened? I drilled out the "cross-hairs" on the passenger side grommet. I never made it to the drivers-side grommet because I saw the tube disconnected at the trough and testing showed no restrictions and a good flow. I am thankful for that.

I slipped the hoses back on but first I cleaned them real good, then I put a thin coat of gorilla glue into the rubber receiver, slid them on then I zip-tied them tight like TAINTER suggested.

Tested them and they work like a charm.

Thanks forum for the advise and support!

Last edited by Arthur Kill; 12-08-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes