PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error code P0651

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:34 AM

I'm going to have to turn in my Man Card....but I threw up the white flag and am taking it to the dealership. I have so much going on outside of this vehicle right now I really don't have the time to mess with this.

We had the TB replaced last year as well so hopefully it's not #2. Maybe I'll get away with a

Old 10-01-2015, 03:13 PM

I'm still having the occasional PO651 code pop up with the "Traction Failed, Service Stabilitrac, Reduced Power" problem. The issue is somewhere on top (or near) of the engine (Alpha model); if I wiggle the large wiring harness on top of the engine it will immediately set off the code/problem, but I can't seem to narrow it down any further. Any suggestions as to which sensor or connector is found in that area??

Old 10-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
I'm still having the occasional PO651 code pop up with the "Traction Failed, Service Stabilitrac, Reduced Power" problem. The issue is somewhere on top (or near) of the engine (Alpha model); if I wiggle the large wiring harness on top of the engine it will immediately set off the code/problem, but I can't seem to narrow it down any further. Any suggestions as to which sensor or connector is found in that area??
The Throttle Body..... which has the throttle position sensor built into it. Check that connection and wire harness.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:18 AM

So we took the H3 to the dealer and they discovered a leak on the Power Steering pump that was allegedly leaking on a sensor. They originally stated it was the crankshaft position sensor, and since that had been mentioned here as a possible cause, it made sense. I agreed to the (ridiculously overpriced) repair at the dealership. When I arrived they said it was not the crank position sensor but one related to the oil and it was much less expensive to replace and should rectify the issue. So new PS pump, new sensor, all in was $800. (less than the original estimate)

When I was there they claimed the battery needed to be replaced (it was the NEW ONE!) and showed me a report that it had failed. They also told me I needed to replace the cables due to the aftermarket connectors were causing issues. Of course this doesn't explain why it was failing BEFORE I changed the OEM connectors, but at least we all agree that this vehicle is sensitive to current fluctuations. They suggested changing to NEW OEM battery cables. I declined at the time and decided I would show Autozone the battery report and see what they say. Remember, this is now the 3rd battery in this vehicle this year. I replaced it with a new one in May, then replaced it AGAIN this month to be sure it wasn't the battery. Now two weeks later the dealer is saying it's failed again?!

3 days later, before I even got to AutoZone to have the battery checked, it went into limp mode/traction control error, etc. when my wife was driving!!!

At this point I'm not sure what or who to believe. I believe the real culprit on this problem has yet to be determined and I'm replacing part by part of this entire vehicle while this intermittent issue keeps playing games on us.

.... Headed off to AutoZone .....

Old 10-19-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Are you still using the OEM crappy azzed battery terminal connectors??????

The FIRST thing to point to is those POS terminal connectors. The PCM is sensitive to the tiniest changes in voltage, and the OEM terminals SUCK! There are many, many, many posts on this. Get a good quality aftermarket kit like Stingers. These are on my truck, never a single problem since.

To rule out this simple problem, first thing everybody with an H3 should do id replace the battery terminal connectors. Cheap insurance against electrical gremlins.
Jeff, your engine bay looks cleaner than the interior of my H3 ...

Old 10-21-2016, 06:58 PM

BrokenAxle,

My H3 is showing same signs, what was the final resolution? Thanks!

Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 AM

what pikappapp said.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 PM

Start the rig, wiggle the connection @ the throttle body and see if it throws the code or goes into limp mode "Traction Failed, Service Stabilitrac, Reduced Power".

If so either the wire harness/connector to the TB needs to be replaced or the TB itself has a bad connection.

Another cause is a bad ABS sensor.