PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine Swap?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Default Engine Swap?

What are my options for an engine swap? 5.3? Those are easy to find. 6.0? Not as easy and not as cheap, but I might be willing just to have a LS2. I've heard the firewall may need to be modified? Is this true? How did others do it?

Anyways, I'm not going to do it myself - any direction to a shop, preferably as close to TX as possible, would be appreciated. We'll probably keep this H3 until it disintegrates, so it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM

I have looked into this myself.If you are going to swap motors go with the ls2 or ls3 the peformance is outstanding.I have the ls2 in my Trailblazer SS.I'm not sure if the drive line will hold up to 400 HP though.The engine looks like it would fit without modification.What part of TX are you close to? Fastlane Performance is in Houston they have built some amazing rides,like the 2nd fastest Trailblazer in the world.A good place to get crate motors is crateenginedepot.com they carry just about everything you would need.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 PM

I'm familiar with the LS2 & LS3 - had a few Corvettes in the past. Just thought a 5.3 might be significantly cheaper and require less modification. But I'm open to either - depending on what's offered and the price.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 PM

I checked the price at crate engine depot a 5.3 327hp 347 lb-ft long block for $3,311.The Ls1 is running $5,024 and has 350hp, and the Ls3 starts at $6,134 and has 430hp.You would also have to have the ECM and wiring harness.So yes the 5.3 would'nt be a bad choice.You could check a salvage yard but I havent had much luck with junk yard motors, both that I built cost more to rebuild than buy new.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 AM

I have 2 5.3L for sale form H3's not chevy's or some other GM. Both have less than 5000 miles and one has 10 miles on it. One is a 2009 and one is a 2008. They sell for less than 2500$ shipped as long as you live in the US mainland.

There's a lot involved. You will first need the PCM harness and dash harness, exhaust (or custom), radiator hose's, trans coolant lines, ac lines, radiator, motor mounts (only the 2009 I got has them so not all take offs will) and you will need a PCM reflash and if your not transplanting the same year (if you got a 2006 and your installing a 2008 engine) you will need a PCM from the same engine year. It don't have to be out of a alpha it just has to match the year is all. Your transmission will not be a issue, it will bolt rite up to a 5.3 but it won't bolt up to the 6.0. Don't worry about breaking it, all H3's (unless its a manual) have the same trans, the 4L65E. If it is a manual it will still bolt up but I don't think they had a manual alpha unless it got ordered. I forget but you may need the trans harness because your old one may not be long enough so if you can extend it that may be a cheaper option.

Dropping in a 6.0L is something predator did but now they got the 6.2L which is a beast. I sell the 6.0L and the 6.2L for the same price so I'm sure everywhere else does too. Just something to check if you go this route. No point in buying a 6.0L if you can get a 6.2L for the same price, the motors have the same outside dimensions the 6.2L is just a punched out 6.0L.

Last edited by theBroken; 04-18-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Huh. 18,500 for a 6.0L conversion seems a little high.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShirtaDay.com
Huh. 18,500 for a 6.0L conversion seems a little high.
Where you find that?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 AM

http://www.mashmotorsinc.com/ConversionPricing.html

"Starting at $18,500.00"

theBroken - can you perform a full conversion with one of your 5.3s or are you just selling them?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ShirtaDay.com
http://www.mashmotorsinc.com/ConversionPricing.html

"Starting at $18,500.00"

theBroken - can you perform a full conversion with one of your 5.3s or are you just selling them?
OMG thats CRAZY!!!!

I sell the engines yes, we wouldn't do the swap but we work with the company that did the H3R and we would have them do it. They are the people we are working with to develop parts for the 3.7L. They got engine dynos and car dynos and a full engine building shop.

The reason I know so much about the swap is just from looking into it myself. Keep in mind all that info is what we found out, you may need to do more or you may not have to do some things.

I was told by a few people that the best and easiest way to do it would be to have the donor car there so you can take what you need. Problem is finding a H3 that got totaled from rear end damage, not impossible but unlikely. All our parts are take offs from GM test vehicles, were not a junk yard, most parts are almost new.

If you want to be the first guy to do it let me know. I will make sure to get you a good deal because it will just be advertising for us.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Swap?