PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Shuts Off Then Check Engine Light Comes On

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Question Engine Shuts Off Then Check Engine Light Comes On

Just purchased a used H3 36000 miles. WEW HEW. When driving at times the car will idle hard then shut off. This happened to my wife the 3rd day we had it. She came home scared and I asked if she put gas in and she said yeah. I went and took the gas cap off then re tightend it and check engine light went off. We drove it hard for about 15 mins and no check engine light or engine shut off. Today we were driving and it died on us. I tried to restart and nothing. I jumped out and took cap off then put back on with about 5 clicks and car started.... Check engine light stayed on but we only drove about 2 miles to our home. I ordered a new gas cap from GM so tomorrow im hoping it ends the problem. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Old 10-15-2009, 03:59 PM

Gas cap can set the check engine light, but I've never heard of it stalling the car. Sorry, I don't really know what it may be, but I would doubt it's the cap.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 AM

That's weird. Let us know what happens. I am very interested in the problem?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM

look into your intake. I had a issue where I had a K&N filter put on and they frogot to take the STICKER out of the inside of the filter. well as you can imagine it got sucked up and jammed the TB and sent the H3 into all sorts of Fits it would shut of like yours is doing and give me the "reduced power" mode and all kinds of crap.
so it may be that something got stuck in there or an issue with the Throttle Body its self.
the funny thing was that everything was fine for the first two days after I got the intake put on (while putting some Royal Purple oil in) and them BAM all hell broke loose.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 AM

Darn the gas cap did not fix the problem. Tuesday I have an appointment to get the issue resolved I hope. Stay tuned

Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Took to another dealer today and they said it was a engine control module code for check engine light. I cant get it serviced until the 28th due to the warranty. I have to wait 30 days past purchase date or it is a pre existing condition......

Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Mine does this and I had it hooked to two different computers. Said my number one cylinder is miss firing. Print out says it could be several different things. You need to have it hooked to a computer device to narrow it down. I put new plugs in and same problem so I'm thinking my number one coil pack has went bad. It could also be a vacuum leak, injector fault, wires or high or low fuel pressure.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:32 AM

damn sounds scary. did you have to pay a deductible each time to get it checked out on same issue? I got an oil change and since then it has not died on me. Really weird but prob just a my luck it will die on me when least expected.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Banned
Default did u say OIL?

the mention of oil on a vehicle with no oil gage scares me.

has anyone installed a standard gage?

i know NOTHING about theses engines but without an oil pressure readout i fear a loss of oil pressure would/ should shut down.

how to read codes???

i have no service data either

any help??

tom

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 PM

The first time we fille dup our pre-owner H3X the car started...shuttered...then stalled. We took it to the dealership and they said the charcole from the fuel overflow had eroded and got sucked through the vacuum line into the intake. They had to replace the gas take and blow out the lines. Then they updated the computer for us for the misfiring codes it was throwing. We haven't had that problem again. I hope it is still under warranty and they fix it for you!

Quick Reply: Engine Shuts Off Then Check Engine Light Comes On