PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Engine not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Default Engine not starting

Okay, well I bought a 2006 H3 in March of this year, only 20k miles, and she's a beauty.

On a camping trip 2 months ago after driving I shut the engine off and got out to bring my kids breakfast (they were fishing) got back in the vehicle and turned the ignition...the starter made a weird (mechnical) noise then just spun. After trying a few times I got out and looked under the hood..nothin unusual but a lot of plastic. Waited for about 15 minutes and she finally started. No issues since.

I was just leaving to go to the store and what do you know...she tried to start...then the starter just spun.

Contacted OnStar to see if they could help...figures the engine needs to be running.

Flashing light on dash (pad lock) wtf, is the security system not letting me start the engine? I tried my extra set of keys...still no go.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

If that padlock light is on and you say your starter still spins as if trying to crank the motor, then it sounds like your ignition cylinder went. Some cheap made in china sensor made my igniton lock cylinder a paper weight back in March but mine was under warranty so Hummer flatbedded it out of my driveway to the dealership at no cost to me. Official diagnosis was : Passlock HSG Fault.
Hope you are still under warranty. I'm handy with tools but wouldn't do this myself. Unsure if the vehicle computer needs to be programmed or reflashed to accept the new cylinder.
Give us an update to let us know how everything works out

Old 07-29-2010, 05:41 AM

When the starter spins, but won't engage the flywheel, that indicates a bad starter solenoid.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 AM

If the starter spins but does not turn the engine it is the starter solenoid. If the engine turns over, it could be the ignition switch, a known problem or your battery cable ends which is also a know problem on the 06's.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks guys!

Engine spins with starter...like it's out of fuel. Talked to a buddy who replaced an ignition on another GM product...was the stupid little needle thats inside (anti-theft) so your ignition can't be started with a screw driver.

Funny thing is..right after my post..it started! Went to several places with no problem. I seen another thread where someone waited 10 minutes and theirs would then start.

Not too sure on the warranty..I only have 27K miles, but it's an 06. Will call dealer.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM

RK,

Okay here's a dumb question. What do the battery connectors have to do with it? Interesting as I put a new Die Hard battery in 2 months ago...seems like the cable connectors didn't sit completely down on the battery terminals,(due to the factory connectors to big for battery) I put them on as far as they would go and tightened. Everything seemed fine..hmm..maybe I should install new cable connectors before a trip to the dealer??? I'm going to Mammoth this weekend on vacation and don't want to be working on her in the field..want to fish!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Any voltage abnormality can confuse the BCM (Body Control Module) which is the computer that controls a lot of the electrical functions of the vehicle. There are several threads on this forum on the battery cable ends. If you do a search you will find explanations along with pictures of replacements of the OEM ends. It's worth a try. It still may be the ignition switch however. I hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:09 AM

10-4 Thanks!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Replace the ignition switch and not be stranded any more!

Rockauto.com has replacement Ignition Switches for around $46. You can easily find a 5% online discount code to rockauto to save a few bucks.

1. Use a torx screwdriver and remove the 3 screws under the steering column.
Remove the 2 piece shroud. Move the steering wheel tilt lever around to facilitate the removal.

2. On the left side under the steering column you'll see a black circular plastic "case" with a connector plugged into it. That's the ignition switch!

3. Remove the connector.

4. Unscrew the 2 Phillips screws used to attach the ignition switch.

5. Turn the ignition key to the "run" position and you can easily remove the ignition switch.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned
Default that ez?,that cheap?

i get tempted to get into the "backup"mode.

i buy belts,lites,wear parts sometime. its a security thing!

ive heard of ign problems and even with a new h3 i like backup!

ill watch this one

tom

Quick Reply: Engine not starting