PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

electrical problem!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Default electrical problem!!!!

Help!!! ran into a strange problem the other night.

I’m not 100% sure but I think there is a glitch with my computer, the other night I started myH3 and the front and back wipers, power windows and sun roof had no power, had to drive home like that no wipers and it was snowing, fun!!! Anyways the next day check all the fuse and there all good, I took all the accessories off winch, Piaa and air compressor, still nothing I then disconnected the battery for 10 min, later hooked up again then I had power to the rear wiper, power window and sun roof but no front wiper.

Oh and PS the key would get stuck in the ignition could not take it out, again more fun!!!
I pulled each fuse out one by one, all good then boom front wiper started working OK!! Great.I turned off and on the engine a couple of time and everything worked great, I walked away for a couple of hours came back turned the engine on and it started allover again. I did this 3 or 4 times by now and each time the same thing.
What I don’t get is, if it was a short then the battery would of drained or a fuse would blow but nothing.
Any help would be much appreciated.

[hr]

H3 2006 LUX, ARB Locker, Full skid plates, Toyo MT's 35's, Rock sliders, T-Max winch, PIAA lights

Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Default RE: electrical problem!!!!

That's a tough one, hate to say it but you might have to take it to the Dealer. Though you might want to try rain-x, Rain Clear Glass Cleaner & Rain Repellent or something similiar. I use it on all of my vehicles.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 PM

I've got a bottle of rain x, going to slap some on, it should do the trick to get me to the [:@]dealer on Monday.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Long shot. Test your battery. If you don't have a tester, take the battery to an auto parts store and have them load test it. The PCMs are very persnickety about voltage, a bad cell can cause security problems (stuck key) which you would never notice in an old pre computer car. Not likely, but you never know? Good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Your service rep will be happy to fix it for you.[sm=signs007.gif]

Old 01-04-2008, 02:46 PM

I tested the battery voltage and it was 12.3V and 14.4V with the engine running, I don't have a amperage meter so I can't test the amperage draw.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 PM

Do a search at the top of this page.......... "KEY STUCK IN IGNITION" There was a guy from Honduras with the sameproblems you are having.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM

The guy from Honduras problem was a bit diffrent, he could not put the shifter in drive, I'm able to drive my truck. I un-hooked my battery again this morring for an hour or so and every thing was good for the whole day till about an hour ago, it's almost as if this dam thing was on a timer or something at midnight it shuts down LOL!!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:14 AM

Putting a Voltmeter across the Battery will only tell you what the voltage is. 14.4v means the alternator was charging. A quick test to see if your altenator is okay, disconnect the Positive lead off the Battery while the vehicle is running. It should stay running,and put your Voltmeter leads on it and see your AlternatorOutput. If your engine dies your Alternator is bad.

Doc has a point if you have a bad cell you can have APPARENT Voltage but under a load it causes actuallyhas allot less available voltage, wait "PERSNICKETY"voltages, had to use that.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 AM

yeah the guys are right-you have to put a "load" on the battery to check it-autozone and those folks do it for free. also, stick a wrech in front of the alternator pulley-if it attracts the wrench like a magnet-its bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electrical problem!!!!