Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The dreaded exhaust manifold broken bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 AM

There is probably going to be an exhaust leaking sound, also accompanied by a ticking before the engine warms up especially laboring slowly up hills.
But yes if you remove the heat shield you will see the bolt heads popped off and see only stud ends. Cross your fingers pal and good luck.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Both ways you just stated will work , Removing the heat shield is the true way because if just one bolt is broken you still may have a good seal on manifold and have no leak yet. There is just 2 nuts to remove to pull shield away and inspect. On our h3 had a tick at startup that would go away once engine reached operating temp and this is a common gm condition. It has happened on my h2 and also my silverado pickup

Old 04-05-2020, 03:23 PM
Default Broken manifold bolts

Originally Posted by badss98
So after some more heat the outside bolts did come out.This job did take me the better part of two days because i did not want to break off taps in drilled bolts.
Some of the tools needed are in the pictures but your needs may be different.Also not in pictures is a magnetic pickup tool as you will most likely drop something and it becomes your third hand.
Now onto the middle bolt,It was snapped about a quarter of a inch inside and i tried the drill and tap , wax,pb blaster and the damn thing was not coming out so this is where you better take some time to think thru what has to be done to get it out. So my only choice now is to drill it out and that is why you need to take measurements of hole depth and mark your drill bit so as not to hit water jackets etc... by drilling to far.

I started by using a small bit and increasing the size to just under the original 8mm hole
broken manifold bolts

Old 06-21-2021, 08:04 PM

I had almost the same issue with mine, without the mid broken bolt. Like you I got hemmed up on the rearmost bolt that’s broken off below the head surface. I got the hole drilled and then broke the extractor off inside the bolt. And that’s when I’ve been halted.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Old thread alert! READ IT, no need to post in it..............................................