PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Door lock mechanism loose while changing door handles.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Default Door lock mechanism loose while changing door handles.

I was changing my door handles and as I was reinstalling them I managed to knock loose the "trigger" that the handle pulls on. I took the panel off to try and get a better look but it's nearly impossible to see (feel). I retrieved a spring that came off of the trigger mechanism and am not sure how all of this fits back together. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:03 PM

when I replaced a door I had to use my original key lock assm in the new one.
I used an air chisel to cut a three sided hole in the upper left inside driver door metal so I could get at the stuff completely hidden in there.
I don't see any other way.
I bent the tab closed and screwed a patch on one side.
the inner panel hides it nicely.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 PM
rsc

I drove around for a year waiting for the motivation to fix my door when that happened. It IS possible to fix without any cutting. A third hand is very helpful, as is having smaller hands and a high pain tolerance. All I had going for me was masochism and stubborn determination. I can't tell you how to do it, it just kinda falls into place when its all aligned. It can only go one way. Pulling the other door panel and handle helps to get an idea of how it should look. Lucky me, I got to do it twice because I tested the handle before it was all tightened back up and I popped it back off. Grrr

Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the help!!

I ended up cutting a 2in x 2in hole and playing with it for many hours. It was the only way I could get the spring back on.

In hindsight, and for anyone else that happens on this thread, I should have taken the whole locking mechanism and "trigger" out of the door to work on it. It looks like the whole set up could come out of the door if you loosen the screw visible on the outside of the door (with the handle removed). I didn't look at the bottom but I would guess with a couple of bolts loosened it should come out of the hole in the middle of the door.

Hope this helps. Pardon my longwindedness.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 PM

yes, the bolt you see is the way to taking it apart. the hole I cut was about 6x 8 inches, no messing around!
getting the handle off is a whole new experience too huh?
that bolt is what frees up the key lock assm.