PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

DIY bluetooth capability for your Hummer!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Lightbulb DIY bluetooth capability for your Hummer!

I love Pandora and given my unlimited data plan I can stream until my ears fall off. But there was only one problem, my beast does not have bluetooth . I contemplated doing the XM analog input hack but I also wanted to pick up calls handsfree while on the road. In conclusion I opted to install a system by Parrot (MKi9200).
Note:This is for informational purposes only and I do not hold any responsibility/accountability for your actions.

Items you will need:
H3 Hummer
Parrot system of your choice
GM-2MKi wiring harness (optional but HIGHLY recommended)
Add-A-Circuit and spare fuses.
Hook up wire
Crimp connectors or soldering iron
Common Tools (strippers, scewdrivers, 7mm socket, etc)

Name:  yWE9gBLl.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  51.8 KB
Start by shifting to neutral because you will need the clearance followed by disconnecting your battery (or at least the negative lead). Next insert your fingers into the power outlets like so and pull in an outward + upward direction.

Name:  fpKOoHel.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  32.9 KB
Next, loosen the the four screws to remove the A/C controls OR you can simply unplug the harness connectors. I left the airbag harness connected because I'm paranoid, then I put the entire trim on top of the dash and out of the way.

Name:  WtS4R2Vl.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  64.9 KB
Next, remove the four screws the holding the radio and be prepared to catch it! Disconnect the big plug at the back and connect one end of the GM-2MKi wiring harness to the radio and the other end to the H3's factory harness. The single red wire will need to be connected to a switched 12V circuit. The third connection (black ISO) goes to the parrot module.

Name:  RM5qeFHl.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  56.3 KB
Next, prep your parrot by connecting the ISO connector, mic, display, aux/usb cables. Tuck the parrot module in there nice and neat and don't worry, there is tons of space for it.

Name:  XWSpcnhl.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  59.4 KB
I routed my aux cables to the inside of my armrest but you can put these anywhere. Some people just leave them in their glove box. Get a firm grip on the cup holder and pull up with all your might and it will pop out.

Name:  XJbqilBl.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  58.5 KB
Next, make a hole in the inside of the armrest and route your aux cables. I believe I'm missing a storage container that goes in there .

Name:  AHcUKUWl.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  51.9 KB
Next, get your 'Add-A-Circuit' and install it in your fuse box.

Name:  Hise6Stl.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  86.5 KB
I grabbed power from fuse number #33 which is ign#1. Simply extend and crimp the red wire from earlier (I ran mine through an existing hole in the firewall). Eventually I'll go back and pick one that is hot when the key is in ACC mode instead. I just didn't have the time to hunt it down. If someones knows which one it is please share!

Name:  lBRa1D2l.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  66.8 KB
Next, I mounted the mic on top of the steering column. You can put this thing virtually anywhere given its cable length.

Name:  6tNTvwpl.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  58.8 KB
Next, I installed my steering wheel control and LCD display. Again, you can install these where ever your heart desires!

Name:  A55PxPDl.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  55.9 KB
With the shifter in Park the LCD display gets blocked but I don't care. I find myself hardly ever looking at it. When you get a call it verbally says the name or spells out the number that way you never let your eyes off the road.

In conclusion, I love this thing and it works great with my GNote and the wife's iPhone. There is one caveat with onstar and chime alerts. And that is, if you are using bluetooth or any other function of the parrot you will have to pause it and then you'll gain access to onstar and chime alerts. You see, when the parrot module is active it takes control of all your speakers and you will not hear anything when pressing the onstar button or if you forget to put on your seat belt or if you have the parking brake on, etc. However, if you are not using the parrot or want to use onstar then all you have to do is press the pause button from the steering wheel control or pause streaming at your cell phone/device.

Hope this helps someone!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 AM

thanks for the info. i also wanted bluetooth capability, but i didn't want to go as far as you did. i bought this on ebay:

GOgroove FlexSMART X3 Compact Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Your Car or Vehicle

for $50 bux i now have bluetooth. not as exciting as your option, but it works.

thanks again...it's nice to know there is a better option for bluetooth...

Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 PM

wow,,,wow