PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer is replacing my serpentine belt, I want more!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Default Dealer is replacing my serpentine belt, I want more!

The dealer where i bought the H3 is going to replace the belt for me free of charge as part of the deal. I am thinking I would like to replace the tensioner assy and idler pulley while we are in there. I don't mind spending a few dollars for them to do it, as I have never done this kind of work. My question is what are the BEST choices for these replacements? AC DELCO, Dayco, Dorman, Gates??
I see different pricing for "professional" versions of these. Which have you guys had most luck with?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

If it were me, I'd stick with the ACDelco, avoid parts from Taiwan and China.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:18 PM

I am looking to buy

ACDelco 15-20676, just the pulley. Or should I get the one mounted to the bracket already?

ACDelco 12573024 GM Original Equipment Drive Belt Tensioner?

Old 10-04-2015, 10:54 PM

I'd buy the assembly. I was going to just replace the pulley, but it sounds like it's pretty tough to do if you have big hands (I do), and where you're concerned, I found a thread where a couple of people had the bracket fail due to fatigue in the metal bracket on the idler, and of course it can leave you stranded if you're not close to home.

I'm in the middle of doing belt, tensioner, and idler right now. I'm using a DIY I found on another site, and it was definitely more than I bargained for. To get at the idler assembly, you have to remove the driver's-side wheel, the fender liner, lower radiator hose, and to get at the bolts, I had to pull the thermostat. Since I had to drain the coolant, I decided to to radiator hoses, too. Big job. I'm wishing I would have let the dealer do it now. Hindsight.

SC