Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Crooked H3

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I would loosen both the top and bottom shackle bolts both sides. If you have a friend, neighbor, family member that is of large volume, they can help you get that rear end moving a bit. It sounds silly, but that was the TSB from GM oh how to address it??

Best of luck.
Thanks Doc. I'll let yall know the outcome

Old 04-19-2016, 06:59 PM

if gm says so....but how can a "stiff"frame flex in the rear while the front is level?is the front really even left to right?
if you lift/jack one side of rear up 1 inch will the other side go up?...i think so.
sumpthin fishey here!!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:34 AM

Did the H3 have a accident that bent the frame?

Old 04-21-2016, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by wpage
Did the H3 have a accident that bent the frame?
Nothing on the carfax and no visible signs of a repair or damage that I can find.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:15 AM

Carfax is a joke.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 04-21-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
Carfax is a joke.
Why do you say that? Just curious. I have searched before I made this post and I'm not the only one with this problem. It's not the norm but there have been signs of it on other h3s. All of them sit lower on the driver side though. Mine sits lower on the passenger. By over 1" !!!. I haven't had time to unbolt the shackles and try docs suggestion but I will asap

Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Carfax is reporting based. Nobody reports the damage or repair, Carfax shows it clean. It is a BS Insurance Co. Tool so they can screw you on replacement values when a claim is made, but happily charge you top rates to cover it as if it were pristine.

If the repairs were paid for out of pocket, the next guy is none the wiser. Virtually all Insurance companies and many dealers will report work done, the rest is all a mystery.

Kinda like this: you take your H3 to the local GM Dealer, they can run its Vin# and give you a print out of all service, repairs and warranty work "performed at a GM dealer." If Spanky replaced the motor, diffs and transmission under his shade tree, GM and your Dealer don't know what Spanky did, when, or how.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by GoVols
Why do you say that? Just curious. I have searched before I made this post and I'm not the only one with this problem. It's not the norm but there have been signs of it on other h3s. All of them sit lower on the driver side though. Mine sits lower on the passenger. By over 1" !!!. I haven't had time to unbolt the shackles and try docs suggestion but I will asap
My H3 with just under 100K miles had a crystal clear Carfax; 1 owner, no accidents, no major repairs. Routine maintenance performed by dealer every 5K-7K miles. In fact, the only thing other than tune-ups that showed on the Carfax was an A/C recharge at about 35K.

After owning it now for about 9 months, I have noticed evidence of major body work (grille, bumper, RF fender & liner, RF door...replaced and re-painted). It was done very well; if not for the overspray I noticed in the engine compartment I likely would not have looked close enough to notice the rest. Also; 3 out of 4 brake calipers have been replaced, a complete custom exhaust... The body work alone was obviously major enough that it SHOULD show on a Carfax, but doesn't.

BTW, my H3 sits even, side to side (or at least close enough that it cannot be seen). If yours sits lower on one side in the rear, but is even at the front, then it seems like the only way for that to occur is for the body/chassis to be twisted.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 04-21-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:12 AM

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 07-03-06-001A

Date: November 21, 2008
Subject:
Vehicle Leans Left and/or Right, Front Sits Low on One Side (Measure Ride Height and Relax Rear Leaf Spring Shackles/Bushings)
Models:
2007-2009 Chevrolet Colorado
2007-2009 GMC Canyon
2007-2009 HUMMER H3, H3T

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and remove VIN breakpoint information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-03-06-001 (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle appears to lean on one side. In most cases, the left front of the vehicle sits lower than the right front.

Cause

The rear leaf spring bushings or shackles may become loaded when the rear leaf spring shackle nuts are secured.

Correction

Measure the fender wheel-opening heights, front and rear, to quantify vehicle lean. Fender wheel-opening heights are related to, but distinct from, trim height (a.k.a. Z and D height). The front wheel-opening height is known as P height, and the rear wheel-opening height is known as R height. The P and R heights are not set at the factory, nor is a specification given for them. However, they are the most direct and repeatable measurement of what a customer would see as the vehicle leaning. Perform the following steps before measuring the fender wheel-opening heights:

^ Make sure the vehicle is on a level surface, such as an alignment rack.

^ Set the tire pressures to the pressure shown on the certification label.

^ Refer to Label - Vehicle Certification in General Information.

^ Check the fuel level. Add additional weight if necessary to simulate a full tank.

^ To ensure proper weight distribution, make sure the rear storage compartment and/or truck bed is empty.

^ Close the doors and hood.

P Height and R Height Measurements

P height and R height are measured the same way. They are the distance from the ground to the highest point on their respective wheel-opening, going through the center of their respective wheel. Record the measurements on the repair order.

If the difference from left to right for P and R height is 10 mm (0.39 in) or less, no repairs are suggested as the vehicle is within specification. If the difference exceeds 10 mm (0.39 in) for either measurement, relax the rear spring shackles/bushings following the procedure below.

1. Raise and support the vehicle on the alignment rack.

2. Measure the P height (front wheel-opening height). Compare the left front measurement to the right front measurement.

3. Measure the R height (rear wheel-opening height). Compare the left rear measurement to the right rear measurement.

4. Loosen the left front rear leaf spring nut.

5. Loosen the two left rear leaf spring shackle nuts (1).

6. Loosen the right front rear leaf spring nut.

7. Loosen the two right rear leaf spring shackle nuts (1).

Tip

You may need an assistant to help jounce the rear bumper.

8. Jounce the rear bumper three complete cycles to help exercise the chassis.

9. Tighten the left and right rear leaf spring shackle nuts.

Tighten

Tighten the rear shackle nuts to 85 Nm (63 lb ft).

10. Tighten the left and right front rear leaf spring nuts.

Tighten

Tighten the front spring nuts to 125 Nm (92 lb ft).

11. Verify that the lean condition is fixed.

12. If the condition still exists, perform the trim height inspection by measuring the Z and D heights. Refer to Trim Height Inspection in SI for further diagnos

Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

That is the TSB for the uneven rear, gotta love the bumper monkey solution.

Thanks for looking that up, makes me thing my memory isn't too bad.