PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 PM

i dont think its been done that way here before. i knew a shop that would make rads and they could do that. dont think they are around now.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:55 AM

what that you don't think been done,? replacing the top radiator tank?

i am from Kuwait they probably do everything here

many shops were willing to do it for simmiliar prices but the ond i had it donewas the cheapest!

let me see how this holds up

Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM

If you go with a new radiator, be careful on which one you get. I bought a Silla radiator thinking I could save a few bucks, about 6 months later it started leaking fluid from somewhere in the core. Bought an ACDelco one to replace it, no problems since.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 PM

When I bought my 2008 H3 a few weeks ago I knew it had a radiator problem and mine only had less than 80000 miles on her. So after looking around for a radiator I found an AC Delco on RockAuto for 220 plus shipping. I could have bought a cheaper one but you never know what your going to get. Also it's so easy to change out the radiator on these things. I love the way GM made the fan shroud, with the easy rotating shroud to get around the fan. It's like they knew these radaitor would have to be replaced sooner than later.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by yellowjacketx
If you go with a new radiator, be careful on which one you get. I bought a Silla radiator thinking I could save a few bucks, about 6 months later it started leaking fluid from somewhere in the core. Bought an ACDelco one to replace it, no problems since.
got the plastic tank replaced only very cheap and popular repair in my country

55 usd part and labour

i did save a lot of bucks since the original tank does not seems to be sold standalone but full radiator assembly

Old 06-18-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by OneBigHummer
When I bought my 2008 H3 a few weeks ago I knew it had a radiator problem and mine only had less than 80000 miles on her. So after looking around for a radiator I found an AC Delco on RockAuto for 220 plus shipping. I could have bought a cheaper one but you never know what your going to get. Also it's so easy to change out the radiator on these things. I love the way GM made the fan shroud, with the easy rotating shroud to get around the fan. It's like they knew these radaitor would have to be replaced sooner than later.
what do you mean by fan shroud?( fan cover)?
so it's bottomed flat down right? u rotate it it 180 degrees and i falls right off?

i wasn't paying much attention the the repair

but what seems like to be easily replacable fromthe top (thr plastic tank) they dropped the whole radiator

i didn't watch the repair closely to let them feel comfortable

and it looks like it's way easy to replace these radiators

Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM

The fan shroud and fan cover are one in the same. I guess I'm I little old school. LOL! Yes and you rotate the shroud or cover 180 and pull it straight up and out.

Originally Posted by a7m1
what do you mean by fan shroud?( fan cover)?
so it's bottomed flat down right? u rotate it it 180 degrees and i falls right off?

i wasn't paying much attention the the repair

but what seems like to be easily replacable fromthe top (thr plastic tank) they dropped the whole radiator

i didn't watch the repair closely to let them feel comfortable

and it looks like it's way easy to replace these radiators

Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by OneBigHummer
The fan shroud and fan cover are one in the same. I guess I'm I little old school. LOL!
I'm old, however that is still correct verbage:

From Merriam-Webster: SHROUD; something that covers, screens, or guards

The fan shroud is not really a cover, there's an opening, unlike a valve cover.
The fan shroud is a guard + it increases air flow cfm to the engine.

Last edited by hummerz; 06-18-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by yellowjacketx
Where was that ACDelco radiator made? LOL

It appears your aluminum core took a hit from a foreign object for it to leak!

My $100. Lifetime Warranty 9589A SILLA radiator is now 2 years old, and I still haven't lost 1 drop of coolant...

The main thing I found 2 years ago, was the radiator moved way too much, causing it to flex/stress, so I modified the upper mount and it's still tight!

Originally Posted by hummerz 07-13-2012
I took the top bracket off and I took my large channellocks and squeezed over the top of the radiator support, pinching the lip that faces directly at the filler neck. I also found a brass nipple that fits over the radiator mount post and inside the bracket bushing, now my radiator dont move hardly at all. GM should make a revised bushing or bracket to fix. That is what I noticed before I inserted the brass bushing, is the radiator flops back and forth alot. Now it is tight.. maybe I could get a patent? some bling bling for my hummer...

Old 08-24-2015, 01:31 AM

I have just discovered a leak in the top plastic tank on my H3 2008 . I'm in Australia so bit more expensive. Replacing the whole radiator $800+ labour .Can get an aluminium one made for $1400 but 2 weeks to make and can't risk it blowing out . From what I've been reading I've been pretty lucky .