PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing brake pads tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default Changing brake pads tonight

Anybody do this yet? Anything special I should know about, or is it just the standard caliper bolt removal to get the pads off and on? I'm thinking it should only take about 15 to 20 minutes per wheel. Not sure if I'm going to do the rears today. They seem to have alot of pad left.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Default RE: Changing brake pads tonight

you dont remove the calipers, just the pins that hold the pads in

really simple

Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting. So they aren't like thecar brakeswhere you remove one of the two caliperslider bolts and pull the caliper up, change the pads and then pull the caliper back down and put the slider bolt back in?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 AM

no you only need to pull out the two pins that hold the pads in. no need to touch the caliper bolts

i think its great, wish all cars were like that, like my wife's audi, which was a pain

Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

That's awesome. It sounds like it takes more time to take the tire off then it does to change the pads. You still have to slide a pair of plers in there to compress the pistons so that the pads will fit right?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 AM

Just did this last week. Very easy but here are some tips. You need to remove two very small clips that hold the pins in the caliper. Mine were located to the inside of the wheel well. Spray the retaining pins heavily with brake cleaner because they will be coated with brake dust and general grime.Tap the back side of the pin with a hammer to get it started. Then use a phillips head screw driver to hammer the pin the rest of the way out. REMOVE ONE PAD! Use two flat head screw drivers to press the pistons all the was in. Remember to remove the resevoir cap. Put a new pad in and then remove the other old pad. Use the two flat head screw drivers to press the other two pistons in. Insert the second new pad, replace the pins and retaining clips. You will also find a small spring like clip on the bottom of both calipers that is held in place with the lower retaining pin. Do not forget to reinstall it. The wear sensors on the pad go on the insde of each caliper. This is a very easy brake job. I had it done in less than a half hour.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

That's great. Thanks for the advice. I have done brakes on probably 15 different cars in my life, all with caliper removal, and one that had a few frozen sliders (that was fun). This sounds the easiest by far. Is it the same procedure for front and back?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:46 AM

havent done the back brakes yet, and my pins were clean and easy to do , took 10 min

you are right took longer to jack it up and take the tires off ond back on.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

I'm done. It took me 90 minutes for all 4 wheels. The back one are standard single-piston calipers, so you do have to take the slider bolts off, but it takes 5 minutes, literally.

This brake job just justified me keeping this truck. I'm going to post pics and instructions for anybody who wants to do it on their own.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't down the pads on the H3 but you need to be careful using the flathead screwdrivers on the pistons. If they slip you can tear the piston boot and have a leak. I used to remove the brake fluid res. cap and then you could push the calipers in easily and they would stay in. ( at least that it how it worked on mid year Corvettes )

Quick Reply: Changing brake pads tonight