PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Changed Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Hey guys....just want to throw out a quick question. Can you siphon drill pump a tube down the tranny check dipstick and get "some" of the fluid out just to add some fresh?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:00 PM

I have a GMC Envoy that I did the transmission flush and filter change, the directions went like this,
1. drop pan clean it , replace filter and gasket, replace pan.
2. add 5 qts of fluid
3. remove the line at the radiator on the right lower side and place into a 5 gal bucket.
4. start car (had wife help ) as you pour in quart after quart of fluid as fast as you can until you see it run clean.
5. shut off car hook up line back on radiator.
6. start car and add fluid untill it is at the proper level on the dip stick.
I plan on doing my H3 this weekend the same way.
Will let you know how it goes.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Default thanks,great stuff

I am dying to hear more about this. I have always wondered how to get the dirty stuff out safely. Thought of running a SHORT time with the pan off.
This sounds good. OBVIOUSLY in neutral!
If you unhooked the other side would it flush the radiator section?
I dont know about the flow direction,curious?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Worked great for the Envoy, got the info off TrailVoy Forum.
You can take it off the other side to flush the cooler, the problem is a peice of hose that will connect to the cooler to catch the fluid. The cooler does not hold that much fluid. You will never have pure clean fluid come out unless you want to run 5 gallons of fluid through it but after 5-6 quarts you will see some pretty clean fluid comming out.
This was all done with the vehicle in park.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Just thought I would add........... the Owners Manual only calls for an Auto Trans Fluid change at 50K mile when in "Severe Service", normally the interval is every 100K.

Cracks me up how people just gotta go fixing and maintaining stuff that ain't broke or in need of maintenance.

This can be aimed at those that still think they should change the oil every 3K.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 PM
rsc

I agree Doc, but I'm wondering if the problems some are having with high engine temps in summer are from the ATF breaking down early. Anyway, I'm at 100K and did a "partial" fluid change 20K ago when I replaced the radiator but still suffer from high temps...oh well.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM

"severe service"

Not just towing, hauling, offroad, also defined:

If vehicle is operated under extremely adverse weather conditions or in areas where ambient temperatures are either extremely low or extremely high.

cleveland ohio here, and I'm a maintenance fanatic.... It's all been PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE, been good stuff so far, 30yrs of it...

Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 PM

Somewhere,here I guess,someone said,"automatics love to be serviced",meaning fluid changes.I think it's a good place to throw money,when in doubt. If GM doesnt recommend changing till after warrantee,could there be a motive?
Fluid changes are cheap preventive maint,lots more money wasted elsewhere.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by happythree
Somewhere,here I guess,someone said,"automatics love to be serviced",meaning fluid changes.I think it's a good place to throw money,when in doubt. If GM doesnt recommend changing till after warrantee,could there be a motive?
Only if it involves a Grassy Knoll and more than one person?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rsc
I agree Doc, but I'm wondering if the problems some are having with high engine temps in summer are from the ATF breaking down early. Anyway, I'm at 100K and did a "partial" fluid change 20K ago when I replaced the radiator but still suffer from high temps...oh well.
Have you thought about adding a trans cooler because you are down in the heat belt. It can only help.

Quick Reply: Changed Transmission Fluid