PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Change brake pads myself?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 PM

I bought the gold duralast pads, as well. The local hummer dealership wanted $161 for a set! Crazy, autozone cost me $37. Rotors looked good, why change?

One other thing is that there is a a tab on one of the pads for each side, the pads will only fit one way.

I'll look for the write-up by Hummerguy. Thanks again... I'm sure I'll be back from time to time as I expect to own this H3 for awhile.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 PM

How do i change the rear brakes? I cant get the rotor off the e-brake.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 AM

brakes who needs um use the fred flintstone method

Old 05-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Just got done replacing my front brake pads today. Purchased mine at Autozone for $29. Both sides took about 40 minutes, and that's with using the scissor jack. There is a post here with pictures. I googled "2006 hummer h3 change front brake pads". It is extremely easy and I would not pay someone to this. I did replace the clips that hold in the pins with regular cotter pins.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM

what kind of mileage are you guys getting out of your brakes? I'm at about 22,000 and I hear a slight rumbling noise when I come to a slow stop...no squelling or brake light...what made you check your brakes?

thanks,
Chris

Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Thumbs up

I just picked up AutoZone Gold brand front and rear pads. After reading the tutorial for the front brakes here on this forum courtesy of Hummerguy, I was able to complete the project in a few hours with no problems. The only thing I was debating was on whether or not to replace the rotors. The rotors looked smooth and in good condition so I left them as is. I plan on replacing them next time. I would recommend anyone who has time and doesn't mind working on their H3 to do your brakes yourself! I actually had fun doing it!

The rears were just as simple. Just like what you would do on any sedan.

1. Use a C clamp to release the pressure on the pads

2. Take off both caliper bolts

3. R & R brake pads. I would also recommend using brake lube. They sell it in small packets at the checkout counter at Autozone. This will help eliminate any brake noise.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Well, I hope Chris checked his pads after posting. Your warning light for brakes is not there to tell you it's time to change your pads, fyi. I'm at just over 19,000 on my '09 H3T (Ride my Triumph most any time there's no ice on the roads!) and was thinking I should take a look to see how much of my pads are left when what do you know, I hear the same thing Chris heard. A verrrry weak rumble just the last 3 to 5 feet of a slow stop. I'll have a look see when I get back from work. Glad to see a posting here and I'll check out Hummerguy's thread as well. Fore warned is fore armed. I last had an '03 Saab Vector. That little bastage had a 'rotating' rear caliper that had to be turned as it's pistons were re-seated. Just making sure I didn't have any surprises waiting for me.

Cheers.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Default OEM works for me.

I changed the left front hub assembly today on my 2004 H2. The brake pads are only 1/2 worn but are starting to have separation cracks in them. After lasting 6+ years and 136k miles I wouldn't buy anything but the OEM brakes. The rotors have no gouges and show minimal wear.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 AM

My dad did this to my H3 about 3 months ago... Actually picked up the pair at O'Reillys. Ceramic, lifetime warranty.. for the pair about 45 bucks!! DON:T have the dealership do it... they wanted yep, about 250 as well. My dad laughed! Taking the tires off took the longest. Dad said easiest brake job he had ever done, and he's 72!. ( He use to be a mechanic for Volkswagon, Porshe) Only had to do the front. He said my rotors looked just fine so we didn't have those resurfaced. DO IT YOURSELF! INFOFX gave you some fantastic details... GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 AM

I had to take my H3 in for a leak from my front Axle... said I needed new brakes soon.. That's how I knew to check them. So my dad checked them and yep, they were needed brakes soon, so we changed them before the cold weather set in. I had about 55000 mi. on them.

Quick Reply: Change brake pads myself?