PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
60.00%
No
40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Can you put your H3 in Park while in 4x4 Lo without grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Default Can you put your H3 in Park while in 4x4 Lo without grinding?

I put the H3 in 4x4 Lo shift into D 321 slowly all works fine but then if i try to go back and put it in PARK it grinds real bad. You can force it inP and it works but it sounds real bad like gears just grinding together. Someone said it was normal, cough. One of my friends H3 does this too.

[align=center]Whats is this? [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][sm=feedback.gif][/align]

Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Default RE: Can you put your H3 in Park while in 4x4 Lo without grinding?

It is normal. What you are hearing is the little pin in the transmission called a parking pin that slides into one of several holes in a plate that keeps thevehicle from moving in park. The plate turns with the rest of the stuff in the transmission, and the pin is trying to slide into the hole. Come to a complete stop and wait a couple of seconds befoe shifting into park. It takes a while for everything in the transmission to stop turning when youstop in low range.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

It is normal. What you are hearing is the little pin in the transmission called a parking pin that slides into one of several holes in a plate that keeps thevehicle from moving in park. The plate turns with the rest of the stuff in the transmission, and the pin is trying to slide into the hole. Come to a complete stop and wait a couple of seconds befoe shifting into park. It takes a while for everything in the transmission to stop turning when youstop in low range.
Not moving at all. Sit there in park. Put your H3 in 4 Lo then put it in park. grrrrriinnnnd. Sounds like someone just grinding away gears in a manual. I think 07s do not do this. Im not saying you are wrong but where did you get the info thatit is thisplate and pin thing? Who else has an H3 that does this?

Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 AM

That is how the "Park" setting in the transmission works. This is the whole reason why people who drive automatics don't believe they need to use thier parking brake because when they put it in park it doesn't move. Unfortunately what these people don't know is if that pin gets a little wear on it and/or you park on a steep hill, you can actually get the pin stuck and now you can't get it out of park. Internally the only difference from this position and neutral is this pin. Every automatic I have ever had has done this when in low range. Typically it happens when I have been moving and come to a stop, throw it in park and get out. If a wait a few seconds after stopping before I put it in park, it won't do that. If you want to hear something that sounds real bad, try driving an automatic with a manual shift transfercase. get the transmission in neutral and shift the transfercase, and you will make all kinds of grinding noises. try to stuff the transmission in park, and the clicking noise will never stop. Eventually you have to choose which noise you want to hear to get it all to stop and shift into gear.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 AM

ORIGINAL: LawWyfe

ORIGINAL: Jeep

I like the tires on the red one though. Funny you got 24 people votingon the color they like best heh. I can't get any feedback about the H3 grinding in 4x4 Lo when putting it in park. 3 people voted in my poll lol. wooo.
Well Jeep...maybe no one else really has any experience or feedback for ya there!?
I figure that most people here have a H3. I don't mean anything negative. I'm laughing at myself, don't worry about it heh. Does it grind bad for you? Anyone else that doesn't really have any experience, it is simple. Start H3, put in neutral, put in 4 Lo, Put in park. Tell me if that sounds horrific or if it's smooth. tanks

Thank you for the feedback Linus Gump. I don't know much about cars soI appreciate your feedback. This pin is grinding to get into one of those holes in a plate that keeps thevehicle from moving in park.. Everytime you do this, doesit wear the pin down? When I park on even a slight hill, I always put it in neutral and put my E Brake on. Thinking this will protect me from putting all the weight on my transmission. Or does it not work like this?Does this pinthat locksin protect theweight on the tranny? tanks

Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 AM

The pin is spring loaded, so it isn't really hurting anything. It could possibly break or bend if there was a heavy load on it when it went in, like say the vehicle was actually moving. Your idea of putting it in neutral first, then setting the brake, then shifting into park is a good one, and will prevent the pin from seeing any load on it at all, unless the vehicle creeps because the brake isn't applied tight enough. Usually what I do is stop the vehicle, set the brake, then shift into park. It accomplishes the same thing. The whole purpose of the pin is to prevent the transmission for turning should the vehicle move when it shouldn't, so yes, it does protect the transmission from damage.
You are ok for noticing it. A lot of people wouldn't notice it because they don't pay attention to thier vehicle that much. Keep that up, and ask questions when you are confused, and you will learn a lot about cars.