PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brakes Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Default Brakes Question...

So got back from a dealership and they did that multipoint inspection.

Brakes are coming up:

Front 3MM
Rear 8MM

So I asked pricing to change the front brakes, they quoted $500.

Can this be for simply changing the pads?

I'm looking online at videos for changing the pads and once you get the tire off, it seems to be a breeze. Pads don't seem to cost much.

Any thoughts? Also any advice on doing this myself?

Old 10-25-2016, 07:20 PM

not done yet at 70000 but ive read here lots of guys, newbys even, have done theirs and made it sound ez. search and read and decide. for 500, ill do my own!! even if it takes all day!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:10 PM

If you live in a harsh climate like Michigan, or where I live, Southwestern Ontario, Canada (AKA - The Salt Belt), the pins that hold the pads in are difficult to get out. The pins may need to be replaced.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H32006
So got back from a dealership and they did that multipoint inspection.

Brakes are coming up:

Front 3MM
Rear 8MM

So I asked pricing to change the front brakes, they quoted $500.

Can this be for simply changing the pads?

I'm looking online at videos for changing the pads and once you get the tire off, it seems to be a breeze. Pads don't seem to cost much.

Any thoughts? Also any advice on doing this myself?
A dealership is THE last place I would take any vehicle for service work. Dealerships are exclusively for warranty repairs IMHO.

If you have a set of tools and are even a little bit mechanically capable, brake changes on the H3 are easy. On a difficulty scale of 1-10, the H3 brakes are like a 2. Buy AC Delco pads and hardware on line, and do it yourself for $75 front and back shipped to your door. If you want to do rotors too, plan on $50 each shipped. You do not need to mess with the rear parking brakes unless you are having an issue with them.

The fronts, no need to remove the calipers, use a C clamp to compress the pistons, pull the pins and spring clip and the pads slide out the top. Slide in new ones and install pins and spring clip. Rotors obviously require caliper removal. Rears are not that simple, but also super easy.

That's saving either $425 for pads or $225 for the works...... beer money in the bank, dealership zero.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Do them yourself and save lots of $$$...fronts and rear brakes are very very easy to do (follow Doc's instructions)...as for the rotors...I've never replaced the front rotors myself but have done the rear rotors, rear brakes, and front brakes. I replace my brakes with duralast ceramics (Pepboys brand...they have now switched to Bosch) and get 2 years+ out of the front and rear with very heavy braking.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Is this correct?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Old 10-29-2016, 07:22 PM

Not a tough job but needs to be done correctly. if you just swap the pads out and don't machine or replace the rotors you will very likely end up with brake squeal, decreased braking efficiency due to poor rotor to pad contact and pulsation. if you don't service slides and pins you end up with premature wear on pads due to caliper slides not working correct, Don't cheap out on parts and don't cut corners on servicing all components cause its "too hard" and you will be successful. Simply look in the other seats in the truck and put the value of your brakes in what you see sitting in those seats.

Last edited by HUMTECH; 10-29-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:31 PM

Ive had many customers do there own brakes then come to me and ask why they don't last. Why they pulsate so bad. why it pulls hard when braking. No kidding I even had one come in with a horrible grinding noise and he stated it couldn't be the brakes as he just replaced them, turns out he put the pads in backwards. Yes, it happened, metal to metal with no wear on pads. So now he needed new pads, rotors again. I really shook my head noting the 2 child seats in the back. Take your time, do it right. Its not just your life, passengers life but also everyone on the road with you.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:11 AM

I don't disagree. Not looking to simply cheap out, etc. If all it is, is what is in that video, I won't have an issue. The dealership didn't say they needed to change the rotors, just that I need new pads.

Do you always change the rotors when you change the pads?

Are the pads I chose considered cheap pads?

Quick Reply: Brakes Question...