PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

blown motor after valvoline oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Default blown motor after valvoline oil change

Hello everyone. Its been awhile since I've posted. Some may remember last year I went through a break up and my ex has the hummer. Anyway she just called me and said the motor is blown. She has it at a garage now and they diagnosed that the motor is fried.

There was one quuart of oil in it. I always took care of the oil changes but obviously I don't now. She's contacted valvoline corporate and they are supposed to get back to her today. I'm expecting that they are going to pass the blame. If you remember my hummer it was in mint condition. We took care of it meticulously.

I guess my question is have any of you encountered an issue like this? And what can I do if they offer no resolve to this which is what I am expecting? She doesn't have the money to haave that motor rebuilt or even buy a used motor. Valvoline screwed it up. There is no way that it should have been almost completely out of oil. The garage she hhas the vehicle at said that there are no leaks and they will back her up that there is nothing she did wrong. I don't believe they put oil in it or something. I have no clue. But I have a feeling she is going to be without her hummer now when it wasn't her fault. Any ideas really appreciated. Thanks everyone. George

Old 01-16-2015, 01:22 PM

I'm sorry. I have a hard time seeing what I'm doing on my phone. Can a moderator please move this to the h3 section? Thank you.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Angry Dissappearing oil

Originally Posted by egroegart
Hello everyone. Its been awhile since I've posted. Some may remember last year I went through a break up and my ex has the hummer. Anyway she just called me and said the motor is blown. She has it at a garage now and they diagnosed that the motor is fried.

There was one quuart of oil in it. I always took care of the oil changes but obviously I don't now. She's contacted valvoline corporate and they are supposed to get back to her today. I'm expecting that they are going to pass the blame. If you remember my hummer it was in mint condition. We took care of it meticulously.

I guess my question is have any of you encountered an issue like this? And what can I do if they offer no resolve to this which is what I am expecting? She doesn't have the money to haave that motor rebuilt or even buy a used motor. Valvoline screwed it up. There is no way that it should have been almost completely out of oil. The garage she hhas the vehicle at said that there are no leaks and they will back her up that there is nothing she did wrong. I don't believe they put oil in it or something. I have no clue. But I have a feeling she is going to be without her hummer now when it wasn't her fault. Any ideas really appreciated. Thanks everyone. George
When was the last time it was in for an oil change ? If you took care of it meticulously the service station usually puts a sticker on windshield or paper work letting you know when to bring it back for next oil change. They also put the date it was done with the mileage at the time it was serviced, ask Her for the paperwork & receipts. You should check make sure she ain't lying to ya. If she's not she gonna have to go after the service station who did the last oil change cause they obviously didn't put enough of it in, even if oil pump gone bad it would not be completely out of oil. (Theres a reason they call them ex's)

Last edited by hum4me; 01-19-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: clairfy statement
Old 01-16-2015, 08:47 PM

It was only a month or so since being changed. She put less than a thousand miles on it. She's waiting to hear back from valvoline corporate offices. I doubt they are going to do anything or accept any blame. We always averaged between 6 and 7 thousand miles between oil changes and sometimes more. So something went wrong somewhere

Old 01-18-2015, 10:52 PM

I'd say you have a case especially if the shop is backing her up with the claims. That is the main reason I don't have shops change my oil-I don't trust them one bit! Best of luck!

Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 AM

I am confused, or I am not reading it right.

There is no oil in the car and you are blaming the manufacturer of the oil that is not in there for the blown engine??

The only person responsible for this would be the person that conducted the service, IE the workshop that last serviced the vehicle if in fact it was serviced, and the owner/driver.

I am pretty certain that if the oil was that low warning lights would have been flashing all over the dash well before any engine damage would have occurred.

My guess would be that it is her problem to fix, certainly nothing to do with Valvoline, unless you are claiming that the oil was faulty and evaporated or something.

Another thing to consider without knowing the details of the damage to the engine is that the oil will often be burned off when engine is damaged, I damaged a motor in a work vehicle recently when a piston cracked and the oil got burned up in the engine, however oil warning light came on when oil got low and I shut it down before further damage could take place, engine ended up being fine after the faulty piston got replaced under warranty.

EDIT:

How many miles on the engine and what is the actual damage and how long since it was serviced by a workshop?? And have you spoken to that workshop that performed the service??

Last edited by Aussie H3; 01-19-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=Aussie H3;321794]I am confused, or I am not reading it right.

There is no oil in the car and you are blaming the manufacturer of the oil that is not in there for the blown engine??

The only person responsible for this would be the person that conducted the service, IE the workshop that last serviced the vehicle if in fact it was serviced, and the owner/driver.

I am pretty certain that if the oil was that low warning lights would have been flashing all over the dash well before any engine damage would have occurred.

My guess would be that it is her problem to fix, certainly nothing to do with Valvoline, unless you are claiming that the oil was faulty and evaporated or something.

Another thing to consider without knowing the details of the damage to the engine is that the oil will often be burned off when engine is damaged, I damaged a motor in a work vehicle recently when a piston cracked and the oil got burned up in the engine, however oil warning light came on when oil got low and I shut it down before further damage could take place, engine ended up being fine after the faulty piston got replaced under warranty.

EDIT:

How many miles on the engine and what is the actual damage and how long since it was serviced by a workshop?? And have you spoken to that workshop that performed the service??[/QUOTE

I think it is a quick lube place not the oil company.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:54 AM

Ok, so this Valvoline place is the workshop that serviced it??

Not the Oil Company Valvoline, that makes various oils for vehicles and other purposes??

Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 AM

I think some of you guys above are a little confused by this.

The way I see it is,
1) perfectly running vehicle was taken to Valvoline Quick Oil Change for service.
2) vehicle has issues and is now at a different garage which says the engine only has about a quart of oil in it and engine is toast.
3) the question is, did Valvoline actually put oil in the vehicle during the service?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 AM

Bunger has it exactly right. It has almost 170,000 miles on it now. But as those of you who remember me I took meticulous care of my hummer and it was mint inside and out. I took care of every maintenance issue myself and all of the oil changes when we had it together. I was even taking care of it still after she moed out for probably the first six months. At some point I told her I wasn't going to take care of it anymore because she turned into a pretty nasty person. Anyway I guess she started taking it to valvoline instant oil place to change the oil. This is all she told me. She just called me out of the blue the other day so I was just curious. I too question the oil light. I didn't think of that. I know there are a lot of safety systems on this vehicle. I knew that hummer inside and out. I'm now wondering if there could have been one catastrophic event that seized the engine. But where did the oil go then? The garage she has it at now says there is no sign of leakage anywhere underneath. So if there was oil then where did it go? And if they didn't put enough oil or any at all I think the oil light would have been on. I have no clue but I told her I would try to help.

Quick Reply: blown motor after valvoline oil change