Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

binding when turning

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Banned
Default lock mode test

park on top of grassy knoll. shift to neutral. you should drift down hill.

turn sharp,left or right. if you keep going,you are NOT in lock mode.

if you stop,you are in lock mode.

this works in neutral so you know it can only be the tr case in lock mode binding up as all wheels try to rotate at different speeds.

it would work without an engine or tranny.
if you stop,and the light says 4 hi,,, the fork didnt move. u r locked.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Default binding while turning

Originally Posted by K0PIR
Just for the record, my steering was binding when turning the steering wheel to the right sharply. It was due to it being in 4hi locked even though the dash said 4 hi.
It would be nice if you added some detail here. Was the binding while turning continuous until you had it fixed or sporadic and what did the mechanic find? I assume you may be referring to a transfer case issue with the lift fork, please clarify? I only notice the problem occasionally. I may drive for weeks without any binding incident but then when pulling in or backing out of a parking space it can feel like the emergency break is on, I've also heard loud snaps maybe 3 times in 4 years so I don't force it but straighten the wheels and baby the H3. Sounds crazy but 99% of the time I have no binding issues when parking. You say it was due to being in 4Hi lock even though dash said normal 4WD, then how the heck would my H3 switch back and forth 4Hi lock to normal 4WD on it's own occasionally? Thx for all replies

Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by drjesse
yeah... That!
Stop this Krap "drjesse"!

I have him blocked because I don't want to see his dribble! Now you quote everthing he says, you are doing it to mess with us who have him blocked arn't ya!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Banned
Default then how the heck would my H3 switch back and forth 4Hi lock to normal 4WD on it's ow

then how the heck would my H3 switch back and forth 4Hi lock to normal 4WD on it's own occasionally? Thx for all replies
dont know if it can shift itself,IF the fork is broken,there is nothing to hold it in one place or the other,huh?

it would seem possible since the fork moves it in/out and must hold it there when working normally.

surely someone who had this problem,or really knows t cases would /could tell us huh?

im looking at the drawings in my service manual. ill see if they mention this in the diagnosis section.ive never had a serious problem with my 07/10 h3 but i am learning a lot from others!!

Last edited by drtom; 02-06-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by humdog
It would be nice if you added some detail here. Was the binding while turning continuous until you had it fixed or sporadic and what did the mechanic find? I assume you may be referring to a transfer case issue with the lift fork, please clarify? I only notice the problem occasionally. I may drive for weeks without any binding incident but then when pulling in or backing out of a parking space it can feel like the emergency break is on, I've also heard loud snaps maybe 3 times in 4 years so I don't force it but straighten the wheels and baby the H3. Sounds crazy but 99% of the time I have no binding issues when parking. You say it was due to being in 4Hi lock even though dash said normal 4WD, then how the heck would my H3 switch back and forth 4Hi lock to normal 4WD on it's own occasionally? Thx for all replies
Yes it was continuous but really only noticeable when I turned the steering to the right . No mechanic needed. I just backed up while turning and then drove forward and it unlocked. Mine doesn't get locked unless I hit the button and I wouldn't think yours could get locked all by itself. You may have a different problem. Next time it happens to you I would try shifting back and forth to locked and unlocked to see if that fixes it. If it does at least you know the binding is caused by that and then you can have your TC looked at.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Banned
Default Mine doesn't get locked unless I hit the button ,,he said

that means its working normally,not broken so if you got into hi lock it was because you hit the button.

btw,in lock mode it has to respond the same way turning left OR right

Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM

stealership is tearing into my TC Wednesday and updating seals and forks in there with aluminum. They have already replaced the front hub assembly's trying to fix the problem, good thing it is their dime.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Default binding while turning

Originally Posted by lcurle
stealership is tearing into my TC Wednesday and updating seals and forks in there with aluminum. They have already replaced the front hub assembly's trying to fix the problem, good thing it is their dime.
So it wasn't the wheel hub then, interesting and I thought you had mentioned the TC/fork was already looked at on another thread. Anyway your '06 H3 "binding while turning" problem is exactly the same as my occasional binding issue so I'm keenly interested in your outcome. (Also curious if your mechanic will mention to you the existing TC problem with all '06 H3 and early '07s where the fill hole is to low and requires an additional 250ml of fluid added via speed sensor hole on top of the TC in order to get the 1.6 qts. Make sure they refill with #88861800 which is the direct replacement for the discontinued Dexron III and not Dexron VI.)
Followup to drtom's test: do you realize how hard it is to find a "grassy knoll" in a metro area? not going to run the H3 out on some golf course. Ha! Out of curiosity I did several attempts in the neutral roll test on a paved hill street and the H3 did "not" come to a binding stop on the turn in 4H lock. Maybe if it ever snows I'll try it again as I realize the uneven surface is a key to the test.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by humdog
(Also curious if your mechanic will mention to you the existing TC problem with all '06 H3 and early '07s where the fill hole is to low and requires an additional 250ml of fluid added via speed sensor hole on top of the TC in order to get the 1.6 qts. Make sure they refill with #88861800 which is the direct replacement for the discontinued Dexron III and not Dexron VI.)
Does anyone know if this is the case (additional 250ml needed via speed sensor hole) with a new TC?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Banned

(additional 250ml needed via speed sensor hole) with a newTC?
if the cases look IDENTICLE,,yeah but a new one is prob ,"a new one' later style. id double check.

[QUOTE Maybe if it ever snows I'll try it again as I realize the uneven surface is a key to the test.][/QUOTE]
no, it jambs up in july or jan, its a function of the mechanics in the t case. if you are in 4 hi lock,you will stop when turning. you can actually skip the grassy knoll and do it in walmart lot just go to hi lock turn the wheel and see how it dont wanna go anywhere. if u hit the gas u mite churn the asphalt, or bust some gears/chain.

if u want to fix this watch my post on the tcase lock kill switch. details soon

Quick Reply: binding when turning