Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Best Motor Oil for H3

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default Best Motor Oil for H3

Has anybody tried this stuff yet?:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...rformance.aspx

I'm still having a hard time believing that a motor oil can be reliable when it is 10 or 12000 miles old and still viscous. I'm going to change my oil myself from now on.

I took my H3 twice to Jiffy Lube. I have NEVER taken my vehicles to get the oil changed until the H3. The second time I did, they forgot to put one of the heat shield bolts back on, and the second one was only tightened half way, literally. I had 2 of the 4 bolts holding the heat shield up and after hearing rattling, and found it, had to march my happy butt to Home Depot where luckily I found an exact match for length and hieght for my bolt.

Anyway, from that side-story being said, I have decided never, for the rest of my life, let anybody change my oil except for me. Thank God I'm going to have my own house in 4 months to do this in. For now I'll use someone else's.

Back to the subject: I used to use Penzoil Synthetic for everything.

What does everybody else use/prefer these days?

I found this today. I wonder if it's safe or better then conventional Synthetic:

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/mot...nth_blend.html

Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Default RE: Best Motor Oil for H3

Religiously, Castrol Syntec

Old 08-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

I used to use Syntec back in the day, but then started using Penzoil and Valvoline SynPower and seemed to get a little better performance from those two, but that was in my other cars.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:01 PM

Clean oil makes more of difference than the debate over syn and regular oil. I use synthetic in my Corvette and BMW and regular in the Hummer. I change the oil every 3000 miles regardless what any maintenace book says. Would you believe that in the Corvette manuel says change the oil every 7500 miles. The BMW's manuel says 15000 miles. 3000 miles is a good number and is a small maintenance price to protect the most vital part of the vehicle.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:19 PM

I believe it[:@]..My Land Rover says every 12,000 miles..I say NOT!

Very good advise and as you say, the Cheapest insurance too.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: topcarbon
Clean oil makes more of difference than the debate over syn and regular oil. I use synthetic in my Corvette and BMW and regular in the Hummer.
I agree. Syn oil is technically a much better lubricant than dino oil, but for the average private vehicle, its much more important to ensure the oils stays clean. I never go more than 5K. If I lived in a dustier area, it would be less. I think syn oil is crazy expensive and only makes sense for some engines that get extreme heavy use or need the extra protection, like turbo engines. I do use syn oil in my Audi because of the turbos.

The car mfrs are publishing longer and longer oil change intervals for their own advantage; especially those who include maintenance in the purchase. In the time frame of a 50,000 mile warranty, the quality of the oil doesn't really matter very much. Actually, it only really matters for those who keep their cars for a long, long time..or to the guy who owns it years from now when the valve guides or rings start leaking. Most engines today should go 200K miles before excessive wear with any good motor oil of the right wgt and grade if its kept clean.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:49 PM

Mobil 1 is the best
But never go to jiffy lube they screw up a lot.
They once put a wrong filter on my fathers car blew the motor same with sears.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Old 08-23-2006, 12:14 AM
ZOO

I do not agree with (SedonaBoundH3) the type of oil you use makes a big difference in the life of your engine. I recommend using the best you can afford too. I use K&N oil filters http://www.knfilters.com/default.htm and Royal Purple oil http://www.royalpurple.com/video/video.html. I did alot of research and found these to be the best. Also the K&N oil filter is super easy to remove and install.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dilo2001gt
Mobil 1 is the best
But never go to jiffy lube they screw up a lot.
They once put a wrong filter on my fathers car blew the motor same with sears.
Have to agree,hummer 2,3 owner for years,and all I use is mobil1. 5 30 synthetic.

Quick Reply: Best Motor Oil for H3