PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Question Battery drain

Hey all,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I bought an 07 H3 back in June. The only mod that i did so far is have BestBuy install an FM modulator by iTtranzit/iSimple. All has been fine up until the past 2 days where i go to start the truck and get nothing but *clicking*. Placing jumper cables on it will get it to start back up. I took it to Autozone yesterday and they ran the battery, starter, and alternator and all tested out good. I'm at a loss as to what is draining the battery; the battery was warm to the touch after sitting 9hrs yesterday and sitting overnight in front of the house. The only think that stays plugged in is my cellphone charger; so the only thing i can think of at this point is the alternator not charging although the truck drives fine and doesnt stall after being jumped. The FM modulator could be the cause as it has a power switch to kill the static from the station when in use but i have no idea how to take apart the dash to check. Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 PM

If your battery is warm it could be overcharging as well. Run the vehicle and with a multimeter see what volatge dc is present.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:10 PM

You realize kids in red shirts work at Autozone, just as kids in blue shirts work at Bestbuy lol haha. In my experience, if a battery is warm then it is overcharging or the current draw is very high. You mentioned current draw so I mentioned charging.

I would suspect the Altenator...

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants; 09-23-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM

Overcharging and heat can kill a battery and affect the cells. The alt may be working as far as charging, just too good. I'd still rule it out with a simple test.

Ironically, takes less time that is has to debate with me on here crazy tom.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 PM
WBZ

I got my 2006 H3 new and had similar issues, in fact I am on battery 5 or 6 by now. I don't always drive it every day so it often sits in the garage for several days. It would not be uncommon for the battery to be dead in 4 or 5 days or less but this is intermittent, It might do fine for weeks and then without warning cause trouble. I have taken it to the dealer several times and to a good local shop and nobody can find a thing wrong. I always made sure the GPS and radar were not only off but unplugged.
Several months ago I had another battery failure and decided to buy a die hard platinum which was $200 I have not had a charger or jumper cables hooked to that battery yet. Now that I have bragged about it I expect it to fail right away. I now leave the Radar detector and GPS on overnight, no problem.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 PM

I had my neighbor give me a jump and took it to Autozone. They charged it for an hour as the voltage was at 7.40 before the charge. I measured it again after the charge and it was at 11.40 volts and barely turned over. They tested it after charging as well and said that the battery is bad.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
If your battery is warm it could be overcharging as well. Run the vehicle and with a multimeter see what volatge dc is present.
The battery was warm and the truck had sat all night which makes no sense. In order for it to charge, the motor has to be running. I literally came outside this morning when it was 50 degrees out, tried to start it with no sucess and popped the hood and the battery was warm to the touch...makes no sense.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by lostsoul77
The battery was warm and the truck had sat all night which makes no sense. In order for it to charge, the motor has to be running. I literally came outside this morning when it was 50 degrees out, tried to start it with no sucess and popped the hood and the battery was warm to the touch...makes no sense.

something shorted could cause a high current draw as well.....I'd put my
meter on and read current and unplug one item at a time starting at any aftermarket stuff first.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Just went and checked on it and it's completely dead after 5hrs of a full charge and just sitting.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 PM

Just wondering, how do you know that the battery is dead? Are you testing it for amps? Or putting it in another vehicle? Or is it just that your getting nothing when trying to start it?

Quick Reply: Battery drain