PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

battery cable issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Angry battery cable issues

any one have a issue with the battery cables. i have been having issues when u get in the h3 my clock is at 12:00 and it was happening for 2 weeks or so and i checked the terminals and they where clean and i even tightened them down and still was doing it.so i decided to take it in being under warranty and when i went to leave it would not start so i poped the hood and when i removed the red protecter cap the alarm went off in my ear and power up.well in short i left it and they gave me a rental.well after 5 days they called and said gm called all over and no dealer has the cable.(its on piece cable and then it splits and runs to battery) so they said the part needs to be made and it will be atleast 2 weeks be4 they will send it out. so i am stuck in a 2009 chevy trail blazer which i hate. so i called and said can i get my h3 back untill the part comes being i only had it not start once and he said thats fine and he told me some 1 else just came in with the same problem and they were able to rig a clamp to keep the cable in place so they are doing that to mine and i can pick it up tommorrow. so hopefully i have no issues while i wait for this part to be made, any 1 else have his issue with the cable being bad that runs to the neg and pos

Old 01-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

They were worse in 2006, they supposedly improved them??? They SUCK!

I have been contemplating cutting off the ends and replacing them with the old style terminal connectors. If they give me one more little tiny bit of a problem, I will.

$1.89

Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 PM

i did some homework my self and checked arrounf some GM places online and they did say they are a national backorder and no ETA . pick up my ride now so will keep u guys posted on how well the clamped it in place till the part shows up.and any 1 who has this issue be prepared to wait since it's a national backorder

Old 10-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Don't overtighten an '06 battery terminal!! I just found out the hard way. After replacing battery the terminals wouldn't fit snug and flush to new battery under cover. I tightened them but got the same result. When I started to back off the nut, the nut nut broke off a piece of the cam-looking part of terminal that holds the 2 post couplings together. Luckily I was able to tigthen nut (with shreds of connector) to a point making good enough contact to start my Hummer. Had to strap down the battery cable to battery tray to ensure to doesn't move.
I could use the brand name and model of that clamp you got installed.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned
Default the fix

i had a probe with those "sheet metal" conn. the wire was clamped into it good so i snipped most of the metal away and hammered it flat, drilled a hole and bolted it to a brass conn from autozone. both sides of course.
9 years later when sold it was just fine.
abt 5 bucks

Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Never a problem since I cut off the worthless stock terminals and went to Stinger Battery Terminals.

Dug up one old thread here I see?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Never a problem since I cut off the worthless stock terminals and went to Stinger Battery Terminals
Doc.......I found Stinger's catalog, and there's quite a selection. Which model did you get, and where? Also....what gauge cable wire comes on the H3's?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM

There's enough cable on the H3 for you to put new ends on w/o needing additional wiring... I used some more wire just for my dual battery setup (should be in one of my galleries) contact Brodie @ ridgedemon.com and he will get you better terminals at a better price than almost anyone out there... oh he's a H3 owner too

Old 10-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned
Default Clamping not good enuf

if you need to cut the old conn off,clamping is not a good long term solution.

i have always cleaned,fluxed,tinned and soldered the cable to a heavy lug,then bolt it to the new brass batt term.

in my experience,clamped wires ALWAYS corrode and fail,,always. i trust solder only, takes a lot of heat, but u can do it right