PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bad vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Default Bad vibration at idle

Hi, I am new here and need help...

I have a 2007 H3 with the I5 engine. I am experiencing a vibration in the steering wheel and seat at idle when stopped while in park or drive. It is so bad that the brush guard and side steps vibrating also. The RPMs will remain steady. The dealer says this is normal for the engine , I say B.S. I have called GM and they have told me to take it back to the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem or know what causes it? I bought it used with 21,000 miles I guess I overlooked this problem when I bought it because I had the “fever”

Thanks

Old 08-01-2009, 03:03 PM

I really don't think that's normal. I have the 06 I5 H3 and I never experience vibrating when at idle (or ever). It's probably not a problem that will do any harm but certainly if it's not comfortable then you need to talk to the dealer again.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 PM

not saying for certain. but ive had vibration problems as you describe with my previous car. and that was one of the engine mounts having been broken. therefor th engine was vibrating waaay too much and you could feel the effect inside.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:41 PM

My 06 has a vibration at idle if the a/c is on, but its only when the compressor kicks on and puts a load on the motor.On the other hand my 08 Trailblazer SS does the same thing under the same conditions but is actually a little worse.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:22 PM

It is so bad you can see the steering wheel shake…With orW/O AC. Guess i am going back to the dealer to do battle.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM

My 06 does the same thing. Always mention it to the dealer when I take it in, they always say its ok. Let me know if you get it fixed so I can burn that mother down

Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I think you answered your own question? It is and Inline 5 cylinder engine. They are NOT inherintly balanced, and shake, vibrate, rattle, roll, whatever you want to call it. 4s and 6s are a bit better.

Since you did not describe a miss or CEL, likely it is normal. Of course, everybodys' definition of a "bad vibration" could be a bit different.

Open the hood, start the motor, put your have on top of the throttle body/top of the intake manifold, or even the air filter box. That is transferred to the truck only to be dampened by the "rubber" motor, trans., and T Case mounts/bushings.

Compare it with a V motor. Huge difference.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:33 PM

I have an '07 3.7L as well. Bought it with 11,000 miles and it ran like a champ untill about 21,000 miles. At that point it started vibrating, shaking, bad at idle even though the rpm's seemed normal. Your issue sounds like the issue I had.

This issue is with the head in the late '06 and '07 I-5's, I think the issue was resolved in '08. The issue is the valve seat they used in the earlier heads, they are too soft and the valve doesn't seal completely. This causes the effected cyclinder, or cylinder's, to loose compression.

If this is your issue you should notice your check engine light come on, it will go off and come back on every once in a while. The only fix here is to replace the head with the re-designed head that was brought out in '08. Luckily the GM warranty is awesome and I got my head replaced for free, including oil change and rent-a-car.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:38 PM

My '08 H3 is 10 times better than my '05 GMC Canyon Crew Cab was. The idle in my Canyon made my arms sore. My H3 vibrates a little at idle, but after 17 months of ownership, I hardly notice any more. Go test drive a canyon or Colorado to make yourself feel better. You will feel that the H3 is so much better.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 PM

I just had the same problem with my 2006 H3. Took it to Auto Zone and they hooked a gaget up to it and the number one cylinder is misfiring. Put new plugs in it and it helped some but number one still misfiring. Mechanic told me the coil pack is probably bad. Will find out tomorrow. Problem is my started after the warranty run out.

Quick Reply: Bad vibration at idle