PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Backup Camera/Reverse Camera Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Default Backup Camera/Reverse Camera Wiring Question

Hi,

I am looking at putting in a backup camera on my H3. I went with the Audiovox camera (recommended by crutchfield). I will be connecting the camera to my Pioneer AVH-p3200bt. I have searched for all the write ups on back up cameras and figured that I would just run it to my reverse lights for power. However, I cannot find anything on how to run the wire from the stereo to the camera. Therefore, my question is how do I run the wires from the stereo to the outside of the vehicle? Is there a certain hole that I should look for that I will be able to feed the wire through? Is it better to go through the driver or passenger side? And last question does anyone have pics of where to feed the wire through? Thanks and I appreciate the info.

Matt

Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 PM

I'm in the same dilemma, figured I'd pay bestbuy the $50 to install so I can yell at them if I don't like it. I'm going with the sony camera, I've heard good things, hooking it up to an Avic Pioneer. If I get is done soon, waiting for camera shipment, I'll let you know how they run the wire.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Thumbs up

I ran the backup camera video and (+) power cable (wired to the reverse signal output) from my Pioneer Appradio/Metra Harness. The camera grounded itself when I mounted it to the bumper.

I routed the wires from behind the dash to drivers side, along the bottom of the kick panels, sidetrim, to the back gate then through two holes behind (driver side rear corner) - see attached pic. The wire come out between the rear drivers side wheelwell/bumper. There is a black plastic plug/cover that you will need to remove/re-install once you run the wires through. be sure to use a grommet or cut a notch for the wires so you can re-install the plug properly.

FYI, you will need to remove the plastic sill cover see (pics below)of the rear door (the one that says HUMMER) before you can partially pull away the left rear side compartment to get to the holes.

I went with the Pioneer Appradio, which has a backup camera button on the touchscreen so I can turn it on manually at anytime without having to put the car in reverse if needed. I plan to add a front camera in the grill like another user on this forum did for parking purposes, then use a switch to choose between front or rear camera. The camera I am using is from Frys, and was easy to mount to the bottom edge of the bumper with a sliding window lock.

Hope this helps!
-Tim

Attached Thumbnails Backup Camera/Reverse Camera Wiring Question-camera.jpg   Backup Camera/Reverse Camera Wiring Question-picture-593.jpg   Backup Camera/Reverse Camera Wiring Question-picture-592.jpg  

Last edited by dohmn8r; 12-16-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the info and pics. The pics are extremely helpful. I am going to give it a shot.