PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ran tire chains offroad in deep snow/mud

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Default Anyone ran tire chains offroad in deep snow/mud

Has anyone used tire chains on their 3 before. I'm heading up hunting here soon and we usually chain my dads CJ for the nasty spots. Here in CO and where we hunt it snows a lot. The manual says not to use chains for 285/75R16 tires. I have 295/75R16s. My guess is the chains will hit the front sway bar as the tires barely touch the sway bar now. And in the rear, won't they hit the inner fender when flexed?

Just thought I'd ask anyone if they've tried it before. thanks.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Having been in CO many times (Mom's side of the family is from east and north of Denver) I am familiar w/ the chains only BS in CO. Personally, if you have real tires, I mean tires for off road MTZs/Cooper STTs etc..... chains are worthless except for making sure you are going slow. I do understand, when Joe Schmoe with street tires decides he just has to hed up into the high snow country, they should have chains or they will have major problems. However, IMHO, Joe Schmoe has no business in getting in harms way.

Anyways, never tried chains with the 3, never needed them, and we see plenty of snow in the north country.

Your observation about sway bar clearance considering the 3's turning radius is a valid concern.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Doc,

There is no chains only law in Colorado. It is chains or adequate snow tires. 4x4 with a tire with mountain symbol on it (i.e. BFG AT or Blizzak's) will not require chains.

Now IF you are driving a rental car Prius with "all season" tires, yes, you will need chains.

Not unusual that folks are confused by the Colorado laws. They are designed to keep the rif-raf out.

"If everything is bigger and better in Texas, why are so many Texans in Colorado?"

Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Just in case anyone is curious:

State of Colorado
Chain Regulations

Chain Regulations - Passenger Vehicles
Winter Tire Tread Requirements
The Colorado Chain Law is the popular term for the requirement for use of tire chains or adequate snow tires on mountain highways during heavy snow conditions. The term is somewhat misleading because chains are not always required. There are two levels of the law that may be invoked as follows:
Chains or Snow Tires Required
This level requires the use of adequate snow tires or traction devices such as cable chains, etc. Snow tires must have the mud and snow (M/S) or all weather rating from the manufacturer on the side wall.
Chains Only
When this level is in effect, use of conventional, steel-link chains is required. Four-wheel drive vehicles are permitted to operate without tire chains when four wheel drive is engaged.
• Studded tires can be used the year around in Colorado
When Snow Are Tires Required:
• Conventional mud and snow tread with (M/S) with or without studs and a minimum tread depth of 1/8".
• Tires of the all weather type bearing the mark M/S with a minimum tread depth of 1/8".
• Four-wheel drive vehicles (all four wheels engaged) with adequate tires. Adequate tires for four-wheel drive vehicles include those with conventional tread with a minimum tread depth of 1/8" and those listed in 1) or 2) above.
• Wavy snow-treads with steel wire protruding.
• Any conventional tire with a minimum tread depth of 2/32" when used in conjunction with chains as mentioned in "Chain Only" section.

For the record, I have never used chains, but I do have Blizzak's on my H3.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys (some may find it useful). I am more concerned with a 100% offroad use for chains. Many offroad trails gain a lot of snow this time of year in CO. The bad spots my dad and I usually chain up the jeep to climb to above treeline. I plan to take my 3 to as high as it will climb so I ended up ordering a set of chains, checked clearances and they will most likely rub on the sway bar when at full lock but will most likely clear when driving straight and turning normally (not fully cranked). I will test fit them and post up the results next week.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Sorry Doc Olds but just because you think that chains are useless that tells me that you don't wheel like some others of us do. (BTW with Cooper STT's and lockers in both ends.) I have run chains on my H3 on the rear with the 285 tires and had no rubbing problems. I have not run them on the front but I do believe that they would rub, probably only on the sway bar.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 PM

instead of chains get tracks like a tank, I think mattracks sells them for like $30k for all four and they bolt right on, I looked into it for the hell of it