PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Getting Ripped Off? Need NEW Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Default Am I Getting Ripped Off? Need NEW Engine!

I have had an awful day. We were traveling down I-10 on our way to Pensacola and we never made it. Everything was fine then all of a sudden the Low Oil Pressure idiot light came on and started dinging.

A minute later the engine starts this knocking sound. So we immediately pulled over, got a chevy dealership to come out and bring us some oil as it was a little low. It ended up being 1.5 quarts low. It has NEVER been low before so I don't know how it got low.

Anyway, we put the oil in, turn it back on and the knock does not go away. We get towed to the Chevy dealership, and they check it out and come to the waiting room area and tell me that I need a new engine (or could buy a used one). They said that the connecting rod I believe (so upset I don't remember anymore), broke and there is no way to save the motor. I'm sure we could get it rebuilt, but I don't want to throw big money into a rebuild that has no warranty or buy a used engine that has no warranty and something happen a few months down the road or something.

So, this is what they told me the price is. I would like some of my Hummer friends here to tell me if this price sounds right. It's devastating as it is going to take all of my savings to fix it, but I have to have it back or I have nothing to drive.

NEW ENGINE WITH 5 YEARS - 100,000 MILE WARRANTY (TO BE SHIPPED FROM MICHIGAN) - $4904.00
LABOR - $1349.25
MISC (OIL, GASKETS, ETC.) - $150.00
TAX - $448.23
------------------------
TOTAL - $6851.48

I'm really sickened by this. Has anyone else ever had this happen where the idiot light oil pressure comes on then one minute later your engine is knocking? This vehicle has NEVER given me any problems.

It is a 2006 Hummer H3 with about 83,000 miles (out of warranty of course).

Thanks for any help and any insight.
Wynter

Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly, I cannot remember any threads of it happening to any of the I-5 H3 guys.... I seem to remember it happening to a few of the Colorado/Canyon guys.... and some of the V-8 H3 guys.

I do agree with you about getting a new engine. Do you own it yet? Some insurance policies do cover these types of things if you are making payments under comprehensive.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM

Do I own what, yet, the H3? I will this coming April if that was what you are asking.

Do you think this sounds like a fair price or am I getting ripped off?

Thanks!
Wynter

Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM

its a stealership... they are always going to be extremely high in price. but if you want the warranty and peace of mind then paying it is worth it. can they put the 3.7L in?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 PM

Or just find a low mileage engine for 1200 or so and have a reputable private shop put it in. There is no way I would pay 7k for a new motor in a 3. That is almost half the price of a used 3 of the same year.
Dealerships are for warranty work, anything else your just getting ripped off.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 PM

I can get you a barely used engine for much less than that.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM
rsc

The '06 warranty only went to 80K, right? You might do a google search for online junkyards that will find you a used motor (for probably close to the same price ) or you can do the leg work yourself and check Pick-n-Pull and such for H3's in there. They may have pulled the motor already for resale but you never know if you don't call. Here in Texas, Pick-n-Pull is having a 50% off deal all this weekend and a 6 month warranty on parts too!

I'm not sure about the price, but I thought the dealership would be asking $5,500 for a new motor installed.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
Do I own what, yet, the H3? I will this coming April if that was what you are asking.

Do you think this sounds like a fair price or am I getting ripped off?

Thanks!
Wynter
Yes, I meant do you own the H3.....

Call your insurance agent... it would be great to get a new engine for whatever your deductable is....

Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM

1. with 83,000 you are just out of warranty, correct? I would contact 1-800-HUMMER and see if GM will do a "Good Will" warranty repair. They may provide the parts and you pay the labor. It's worth a try!

2. If the "Good Will" warranty repair is a no go then contact theBroken who has a very low mile I5 that will drop right in! He offered it above in post #6.

3. If all else fails, don't go to the dealer. Shop around for the best deal and best warranty.

Hope this helps a little!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 AM

ok, several posts and no one has yet mentioned putting a diesel into it??? Im sickened by this, Especially you Muddy!

Quick Reply: Am I Getting Ripped Off? Need NEW Engine!