PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Advise on buying a H3?

Old 09-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Default Advise on buying a H3?

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my very reliable 01 4Runner with 200k miles & have been researching H3's & looking for some advise. A friend of mine had one & it seems it was a lemon. I read on another forum "If the last 6 of the VIN are less than 287591 you are in the range for a bad head". I've also read about some radiator problems. This will be a family car so my main focus is reliability. Any advise on what to watch out for?
Thanks!!!

Old 09-01-2016, 05:27 PM

they are all 6 yrs or older, used only so its pretty much what you do in any used car lot. some h3s may have had a rough life off road so you need to have a good look for clues, underneath, running gear and stuff other guys will know about more than me.
do a good test drive and inspection for leaks.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

The head recall was ONLY for 2006 H3s, everything after that has the hardened valve seats.

Some H3s have had radiators that rub on the top mounting bracket, which can wear through the plastic tank top and/or crack it and cause a leak. Just open the hood and look, if the plastic tank does not contact the bracket, not an issue. Radiators are cheap and easy to replace. Kinda hoping mine pukes so I can buy an CSF Aluminum Radiator.

Keep in mind, 2006s had the 3.5L, later years have the 3.7L, 20HP & TQ boost.
I would look for a V8 and see if that fits your wallet.

Good luck.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:20 PM

to compliment the post,

-H3s are noisy, but that does not necessarily mean suspension is bad. Anyway a good checkout is vital.
-L5 engines are enough, but if you need more power the V8 is awesome. Mileage is around 14-20 mpg depending on truck specs or mods.
- Get the Adventure Package if possible, this gives the H3 the lockers, 4:1 transfer, 33 inch tires and beefed suspension. You can fit 35 inch tires without any mod and lift the front end to level the truck. The H3 is unbeatable off road!!!
- There's also issues with the battery connectors that cause the H3 to go mad. Easy fix.
- H3s, just like many trucks, have play on the driveline that you can feel as clacking when accelerating... Normal.
- There's a recall now for the HVAC connector.
- Best models are 2008 & 2009.
- There's a pickup version called H3T in case you didn't know.
- They share many components with other GM products.
- Drive with care as the H3 is clumsy on the street
- Luxury package is worth the extra cash, makes the H3 go from Wrangler to Land Rover.

and most important, H3 are awesome and a joy to drive!

If you don't go with Hummer, the Toyota FJ and the Land Rover Discovery LR3/LR4 are good too!

Old 09-02-2016, 04:56 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-02-2016, 05:42 PM

-H3s are noisy
- H3s, just like many trucks, have play on the driveline that you can feel as clacking when accelerating
----------------
Geez I have none of these problems. Sweet

Old 09-10-2016, 09:54 PM

Get a pre-purchase inspection with mechanic you know and trust. I wish I had.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:07 PM

- H3s, just like many trucks, have play on the driveline that you can feel as clacking when accelerating... Normal.
- There's a recall now for the HVAC connector.
1 no play in my drivelione, some may but not common. if you have play you need work.
2 recall is for fan speed control conneector, not resistor assm.

3 two i have owned handle great, i take curves on a hilly road at 2x posted and love it. they actually corner well. weight is centered and relativly low for the wheel spacing.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:47 AM

Hey Mkawas,
If you have slack/clunking in your driveline, you might want to get it checked out. It is certainly not normal!

Also, if it handles poorly, maybe your suspension (probably shocks) needs attention.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
The head recall was ONLY for 2006 H3s, everything after that has the hardened valve seats.
I bought my 2008 H3 brand new from the dealer (Hendrick) and had to replace the cracked head in 2014. I brought my known issue (including printed posts from this forum) to the dealership (Hendrick). They dismissed it, wouldn't work with me, and I forked out ~$3k to have the head replaced. Love my H3! Hate Hendrick. They also informed me that my radiator is leaking/seeping through fractures at the top, but I haven't had it replaced yet.

Even after the bu||****, and 72,000 miles I can't let go of it! Get one. Just know what to look for.

P.S. The last six of my VIN are less than 287591

Last edited by timpossible; 09-19-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advise on buying a H3?