PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummers In China

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Angry Hummers In China

I am in Korla China on business and almost everybody who drives a vehicle with 4 wheels drives an SUV. Lots of Toyota's, Jeeps, Mitsubishi, Land Rovers and every other brand you can think of. The bad news is I have only seen 1 H3 and 1 H2 I really wish I had mine here because this city is on the northern edge of the Takla Makan Desert and would be a great place to take my H3 also the Gobi Desert is within a days drive of here. The really fuuny thing is road signs and traffic signals are only A suggestion I guess, because no body stops at red lights they just lay on the horn and keep driving. I have a driver that carts me around and that's scary enough.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 AM

You haven't really seen how bad driving can get until you leave Europe or the USA.

I thought the driving was bad here in Arab Emirates (it is) until I visited India.

They are supposed to drive on the left, but actually drive on both sides. No one uses mirrors at all - they fold them in or take them off so they don't get damaged, and just beep people whenever they over take, which means every street is just a deafening chorus of horns. They have no idea about being in the correct lane to turn left or right... so its not unusual to have them come up on your right and then pull right across you to turn left.

Right of way is determined by how big your vehicle is. If you are a truck you keep going and everyone else just gets out the way.

Pedestrians are considered a nuisance - my taxi driver as he sped along beeped a poor old lady who had the cheek to attempt to cross the road on a crossing - she scuttled back to the roadside as quicky as she could.

Considering how bad the driving is, its surprising to find pedestrians apparently don't fear cars so much. They'll walk out right in front of you without looking.

There is no road rage, because everyone's driving is equally abysmal.

Predictably the death toll in india on the roads is staggering.

In the UAE I certainly feel much safer in a Hummer than when I get in my brothers Jeep Cherokee which feels flimsy by comparison.