PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC blower issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Default AC blower issue

I replaced resistor and harness and nothing. Engine light came on and code showed thermostat. Replaced it, pain in the butt, reset by disconnecting battery and still no blower, but engine light gone. Any suggestions?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:49 PM

fuses?, 12v goes to one end of motor, the other end to the resistors and the hi speed relay. any voltage there?
you can ground resistors to check motor. the resistor pack is usually never the problem.

you should be looking at a wiring diagram to work on this.

Last edited by happythree; 08-01-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 PM

Fuses all good. I will try voltage checks and see. Thanks

Old 08-02-2015, 04:53 AM

When I punched in my vin# for an H3 2006 Hummer on the GM owners website under recalls, I found the following info. GM is in the process of issuing a recall on the Blower Motor Resistor. It states "Dealers will replace the female connector and harness, free of charge." "Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE" ... Recall was introduced June 25, 2015. Dealerships have not yet received a formal notification from GM. Here's the GM link, just enter your vin# and it will take you to whatever they find for your model/year https://my.gm.com/na-gm/recalls

Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 AM

So my AC blower just stopped working on Friday. I knew there was an outstanding recall but forgot what it was related to. So I took the H3 to the local dealer who told me 1. they knew nothing about a recall, and 2. the problem with my AC blower was the resistor and the wiring harness for the resistor. Both needed to be replaced for $760. (That's not a typo)

So I told them to stick it and picked up the truck and plan to work on this myself or take to another shop.

My concern is that all indications I've read about this resistor are that the problem is when it burns. If it's not burnt, it's not the problem. And mine doesn't seem to be burnt.

Further, if this is the problem and I fix it on my own, does anyone know if there's a process to be reimbursed through GM at a later date? I've never seen a recall that doesn't have a posted remedy!?

Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM

its the connector,,,been discussed here a thousand times, rarely ever the resistor assm

Old 08-04-2015, 01:28 PM

Broken,

When you say yours "doesn't seem burnt", what does that mean? Have you removed the wiring harness and visually inspected the connection site? Some people have large burns, others have smaller ones. There have been people who disregarded the burnt connection simply because they didn't smell anything, or glanced at the connection and didn't notice it.

Being that it costs so little and is super easy, why not remove all doubt and physically remove the harness and inspect it.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by norinco3264
Broken,

When you say yours "doesn't seem burnt", what does that mean? Have you removed the wiring harness and visually inspected the connection site? Some people have large burns, others have smaller ones. There have been people who disregarded the burnt connection simply because they didn't smell anything, or glanced at the connection and didn't notice it.

Being that it costs so little and is super easy, why not remove all doubt and physically remove the harness and inspect it.
I just came back to report that I decided to take it apart and see inside. As you suggest above, it was absolutely burnt. In fact I had a hard time pulling the resistor out of the harness because they were melted together.

In 30 minutes I tracked down a local dealer with the parts on hand (<$100) and in 15 minutes had the parts installed. I'm pissed off that GM knows about this, knows it has caused deaths, yet because they don't have a resolution plan in place, I had to pay for this today. But, with 100F days on the horizon for the foreseeable future, I was forced to spend the money and time and fix it out of pocket. But at least I saved $700 from the dealership who tried to rape me today.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 PM

Hi,
Could you post the name of the dealer so those of us in the area don't go to that dealer?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bluebird Bob
Hi,
Could you post the name of the dealer so those of us in the area don't go to that dealer?
I agree; post their name/location. They deserve to be publicly identified. Not only are they idiots for telling you that they didn't know about a recall (it was reported in nearly every major newspaper/TV news in the country), but then they tried to absolutely rip you off for $760. Many have posted high repair costs from their dealer for this item, but that's the highest I've seen yet. What is their labor rate, $500/hr?

As for Chevy not having a fix yet, that is correct. They have acknowledged that there is a problem, and that they are going to fix it at their cost, "eventually". But they are still working on the permanent solution and it is not ready yet.

Quick Reply: AC blower issue