Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

"ABS", and "Traction" light, Major brake problem!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Default "ABS", and "Traction" light, Major brake problem!

2006 H3. I have been having a problem with lights coming on. I had it towed to the dealer and @11k miles. They replaced the brake switch. The light came on, at 17k, the ebcm needed to be replaced. At 25k miles, another ebcm needed, once again at 29k master was ordered. The dealership closed and I couldn't get the part installed until it happened again at the new dealer. It finally came back on and the dealer said to resurface rotors? I didn't really understand why because I had the brakes done only @10k miles back. I was told we have to follow procedure, and the service advisor told me that they found the brake problem (kinda by accident). Turns out contamination of brake fluid from factory they believe. The brakes lines were bulging, broken inside near connector. Parts have to be located now, I am just mad that I bring it in all the time, on time, for service and concerns. Now they notice this after all this time? I need this posted just to make people aware. Thank goodness nothing happened, I always have my young child in this car. I have been nervous driving it because of the concerns, now I am afraid. I was told all the parts which have plastic on it are getting replaced. Shouldn't everything? Will this totally correct the problem? Please help.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Car is still at a dealer, the final part should be coming in tomorrow. The repair will be around $6k. (under warranty). The person at dealer told me the other car was an H3 (not and H2) and the regional rep. told me that they have been having a lot with this problem. This is the reason why I am posting this on the sites. Just to make other H3 owners to look at the brake lines, or just to inform you just in case you are having similar concerns since it’s a safety concern. The lines probably only lasted this long because after having the EBCM replaced twice they have to flush and replace the fluid. Other than the problems, I love the truck.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 PM

Contamination of the brake fluid from the factory?? Making the lines bulge and break? That's an interesting diagnosis--not to mention expensive. Sounds a little fishy to me, though.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Really? I take such good care of my h3. I don't go off-roading at all. (I would be afraid the mess it up inside and outside). I have only brought my car to the dealership and at exact mileage for services. The regional hummer rep. has been calling me and said that they have been having this problem, making it hard to get the parts. When the dealer told me that he only saw 1 other h3 with this, (I guess more towards the beginning of this concern) he said that they had the other truck for almost 6 weeks because hummer made them send the fluid out to get analyzed before the repair was done. Now they just replace every part that would have the fluid running into it, except pad and rotors. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow and post again, it won't list the exact price because it will just say "warranty". I had to ask them. They said that the parts list was @ approx. $4600. and the labor will bring it to about $6k.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 AM

My H3 had issues once, too. Like yours, it had the "ABS" and "Traction" lights illuminated. Mine would go forward a few yards then the brake would apply on one wheel or another and the vehicle would stop. I could then move forward a few feet and the same thing would happen. It took me 15 minutes to get it around the block, back into my driveway. The dealer had to send a tow truck out to get it because it was un-driveable. They found that one of the rear wheel bearings had started to disintegrate and the metal shavings from the wheel bearing got into the wheel speed sensor causing it to malfunction. The malfunction of the speed sensor caused the stability system to think the vehicle was careening out of control and it tried to "straighten it out" by applying the brakes to various wheels.

I know there are a million different things that could be wrong when the "ABS" and "Traction" lights are illuminated, but I have never heard of "contaminated brake fluid" taking out a whole brake system. I could be wrong, but like I said....Something sounds fishy. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as whatever it is gets fixed under warranty though, eh?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 AM

Well I had the lights coming on also, but I basically lost brakes or they didn't work well. I was told that it was normal functioning of ABS, but I have had it before and I knew that it wasn't. Well it is now over 2 weeks and I am SUPPOSE to get it tomorrow now (I have been told this everyday for the past week ago). Tech was test driving, a code came on again for some kind of valve which was not need to be replaced during everything else. I will need input, once I find out which one it is. So, they had to order a part which will be there tomorrow?????????
I just want my truck back...........

Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 AM

Did the dealer ever resolve your problems?

Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 AM

Thank you for posting this issue. I have an 2006 H3, I had brake lines buldge on me once in a 1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville, and nothing happened except when the line finally blew and I lost brake pressure.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Default Same Here

Oh boy ... My 2006 H3 is doing the same thing ... ABS light comes on intermittently for no apparent reason because there is no perceptible difference in the brake performance ... dealer is clueless and says it's safe to drive because it's just a back-up system ... oh boy ... only good thing about this comedy of errors is that if I'm Kamikaze-ed by one of those Toyota's with a stuck gas pedal and I can't stop my H3 in time because of defective brakes ... I'll probably survive the crash ... oh boy!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Lol that repair was fixed n they replaced the entire braking system.. As of 7/31 only less than 4 years later.. Again I lost the brake line n they r all bubbled up again,. Thank god I was at a traffic light when it happened but totally lost the brakes.. Wtf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "ABS", and "Traction" light, Major brake problem!