Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2008 H3 - multiple issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 08:39 AM
Default 2008 H3 - multiple issues

First time posting, hopefully the right place. I’m having multiple issues. In the past two years I’ve gone through three batteries. On multiple occasions I’ve come out in the morning and truck won’t start. Jump it off and starts every time. Other occasions it will start and I’ll drive 5-7 miles and stop for gas or coffee and it won’t start. If I let it sit for 30 minutes and go back it starts again. Have had times when I’m driving in traffic and when I start moving truck won’t shift out of low. Then stop and turn truck off for 10 seconds, restart and runs fine. Same situation with the Stabilizer/Traction Control Loss when moving. Will stop, turn off truck then restart and problem goes away. Check engine light is on, starts flashing when idling at a stop light for more then five seconds, can switch to neutral at the light and it doesn’t flash. Have had codes read, reading says to many misfires to locate which cylinder is off. Sensor codes as well along with a pedal warning. Truck runs absolutely perfect at times. Motor sounds strong and just purrs, other moments very rough. So many things are off at times and other times runs like a top. Was thinking it might be the ECM or PCM. Terrified to take to a shop and have them fix it by replacing things trying to rule out what it might be.

Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

We can't help you unless you post the actual codes for the CEL. Your summary of what you think a code meant is not cutting it.

Start with the easy stuff. Are you still using the crappy azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors? If so, hack them off ASAP and replace with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand. Number ONE Mod to be done to every H3/H3T as they are a known cause for electrical Gremlins. Short version without details, the OEM Connectors cannot properly make consistent connections to the terminal once somebody either over tightens them or they get taken on/off the battery a few times, add in some dirt and crud = predictable problems creating a surprisingly wide range of symptoms.

Next, read this FAQ thread that I have linked in blue. Acts like it wants to stall/rough idle -No CEL -What To Do: