PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

4WD system

Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Default 4WD system

Ok so I have had my H3 for about 6 months now and its getting to be snow season in Buffalo NY(then again its always snow season here...ok more so then in the summer) but I am wondering about 4wd high vs. 4wd lock. I know the concept that in high its a 60/40 split. does that mean its 60/40 all the time or will it adjust according to wheel slippage like newer/similar AWD systems. I just dont want to put in 4wd high lock and damage something if on highway but do want to make sure that I dont slip in the snow. I guess main question being is can I run 4high lock on highway in snowy conditions for the peace of mind that I know I am getting 50/50 split and wont hurt any of the transfer case parts, etc. My previous vehicle was a ranger and was shift on the fly to 4wd and ran that no problems on highway in the snow....the manual doesnt offer much help. any help you hummer wizards would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

The simple answer is: For driving on slippery winter roads, you don't need to play with the buttons, just drive. It is set up to be idiot proof with TCS and StabiliTrack.

I live in MI, had this truck for 5 years in Feb and never use lock on snow/ice covered roads.

Lock is never to be used on dry roads.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
The simple answer is: For driving on slippery winter roads, you don't need to play with the buttons, just drive. It is set up to be idiot proof with TCS and StabiliTrack.

I live in MI, had this truck for 5 years in Feb and never use lock on snow/ice covered roads.

Lock is never to be used on dry roads.
Same here in Wisconsin.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 PM

X3 here in MI also. I do however use 4HI Lock when the roads are unplowed after a 6"+ snowfall If I am clearing the way with fresh snow.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM

Leave it unlocked and let the truck's traction control system do the work. In this mode all 3 of the H3's differentials remain open and the traction control system brakes each tire individually if it starts to spin. Just remember that this system must have engine power applied to the driveline to work. In other words, do not feather the gas as with mechanically locked systems when tires slip but keep your foot on the gas so the electronic system can work.

If you are driving and stop and starting in deep snow that causes the traction control system to "work overtime", then go ahead and lock the trucks center diff with the 4hi lock button.

(Years ago the lock refused to engage when it was very cold out so now I test engage it once a month to keep the mechanicals free. Since doing this I have never had a locking problem again.)

Old 12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TAINTER
X3 here in MI also. I do however use 4HI Lock when the roads are unplowed after a 6"+ snowfall If I am clearing the way with fresh snow.
Show off.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Fwiw- It's been snowing on and off here in the midwest for several days with a mix of snow covered, slushy, and iced roads and I'll say this new-to-me H3 is quite the ride for these conditions. I came from a Jeep Rubicon, and while many may think that would be the ultimate winter driving rig, its light weight and either 2wH or 4wH system really wasn't the best for a daily commute consisting of both highway and in town.
So far I'm very, very impressed with the Hummer drivetrain. Just let the all-wheel drive, and traction/stability systems do their job.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Fwiw- It's been snowing on and off here in the midwest for several days with a mix of snow covered, slushy, and iced roads and I'll say this new-to-me H3 is quite the ride for these conditions. I came from a Jeep Rubicon, and while many may think that would be the ultimate winter driving rig, its light weight and either 2wH or 4wH system really wasn't the best for a daily commute consisting of both highway and in town.
So far I'm very, very impressed with the Hummer drivetrain. Just let the all-wheel drive, and traction/stability systems do their job.

Well put.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM

I always say, I have 3 snowmobiles. A Polaris, Artic Cat and the best one the H3.