PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2014 hummer?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 AM

We are in a time of rapid vehicle improvements. With Hummer now gone it makes it easier for someone to compare a brand new off the lot, $44k top of the line Wrangler to a first model year 8 year old H3. I'm a Jeep fan at heart, so why do I drive a Hummer? For one, I'd rather buy used and let someone else take the depreciation hit. Second, compare a Hummer to a same year Jeep... We can speculate all we want about what might have been, but eventually the best Wrangler you can buy had to be better than the worst H3 (no offense intended to '06 owners). I'd still take an '09/'10 H3 Alpha/offroad over any Jeep ever made. As long as we are making comparisons, I'm not really sure what you'd compare the H2 to. Commander maybe? I think they dropped the Commander line 'cause nobody wanted one.

As time goes by, Jeeps will continue to get better (one would hope), and unless the Hummer line goes the way of the phoenix and comes back to life in one way or another they just keep getting older and more worn out. Maybe something like: In-Depth: General Motors Designing HUMMER-Like Vehicle In GMC Design Studio*|*Hummer Guy GMC To Build New Hummer-Like Off-Road SUV - Blog - The Car Guide is the next spiritual step for Hummer?

That's not to say Jeep isn't better in some ways - it is. Better visibility and you can take the doors and top off. If there is one thing I miss about the Wranglers I've owned, it's the ability to take off the top and run a bikini top. Open air yet some shade.

Last edited by skeptic; 03-04-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
I'd rather buy used and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

That's the way I roll! I buy clean/low mileage used vehicles for myself, wife, and daughters. Total out of pocket expense monthly per vehicle (including the price paid for the vehicle and maintenance/repairs) over the last 15yrs, is less than $300 a month per vehicle.

Spending $44k on a vehicle, almost tripled my avg monthly expense per vehicle, with the car payment alone(+maintenance/repairs).

I tell ALL my customers: if you spend less on maintenance/repairs, with your current vehicle, than it would cost you per month, on a new car loan(avg $350+per month+ maintenance/repairs), you are ahead money, by keeping your car. There are better things in life to spend that excessive money on.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by keystone
Well, in December, I spent $4,100 on my POS H3 with a new head and various other issues and then while on a road trip, wasn't sure I was going to make it to my destination due to the violent shaking from the drive-train. When I got there, took it to a very capable and trusted GM shop (not dealership) and was informed that the *entire* drive-train was shot - as in both diffs/axles, all CV joints and transfer case. Oil was leaking from all. Why??? Only ~75K miles and I *babied* this thing and never took it off-road! Was quoted between $8K and $10K.

Hey, it was a decent mid-size SUV for the first 4 years I had it - the last couple were HELL, but the fact is, it was underpowered, cramped interior with no space to haul anything and was just plagued with problems. Granted, I'm sure many of the problems were due to the fact that it was an '06.

I traded it on 12/31/13 for a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4 dr Rubicon. A $44,000 Jeep! WTH?! Was a little apprehensive at first, but now, I ask myself every single day why I didn't go this route sooner. I owned my H3 because I like very boxy militaristic vehicles and when I got my H3 in 2007, Jeep was pure schitt. That 137HP 3.8L engine couldn't get out of its own way. However, now they got it right. VERY right! With a few bolt-on mods, I'm dyno'd at 331 HP and 308 ft/lbs torque in the most versatile vehicle currently available for 2014. AND...the original military vehicle (since 1941), at least prior to our beloved HUMMER's.

I am still a **big** fan of the H1 and H2. But having owned one for 7 years, the H3 has forever scarred my opinion of itself as respectable vehicle in any category and of being worthy of carrying the name "HUMMER". It is what it is, a modified Chevy with a modified Cavalier engine (plus one cylinder). Good riddance! I hope you guys have far better luck at 70,000 miles (technically 45K when it all started) with your engine vibrations, leaks, rattles, heater blowers, "limp" mode in the middle of no where, climate control unit failures, sunroofs, axles, transfer cases, and so on than I did!

Wow!!! What an @$$

I got all of my Hummers from a GM Dealership... All had the GM Certified Warranty on them. I still have almost 50,000 more mile and 2 more years left on my warranty for the one I have now. If for some weird reason my heads, or drive train goes out, I will be sure to take it and get it fixed, For Free.

I'm not going to bash Jeep... I like Jeeps... Very versitile. "Some" look great...(if set up right) You can take the top off, and the doors, very cool stuff. I've owned a 03 lifted Rubicon, (lifted, winch, bumbers wheels and tires.. The works) before I became a Hummer Lover... It had the 4.0 in it, but it was a dog... Slow as the come.

Is the Hummer under powered? Sure... But you can buy the Alpha with the 5.3 in it, which more than makes up for the 5 cyl. As far as room goes? There isn't much difference.

It's obvious this guy is bitter about something and he's not telling the whole truth. Either he has kids who have been out off-roading and abusing his Hummer without his knowledge or he's making things up. Your drivetrain doesn't just go from being great to being completely shot over night!!! Out of the 4 Hummers I've owned, I did have one lemon. Head issues... The dealership told me who ever owned it before abused it and didn't take care of it. That same dealership, bought that Hummer back and got me into a different one.

As far as your 2014 Jeep being better than your 06 Hummer? Duh!!!
Of course the an 8 year newer vehicle is going to be better. What are you stupid?

The moral of the story is, vehicles don't last forever, it pays to buy your vehicles from a reputable dealership, to always get a good warranty, and to take care of your vehicles.

When you get your Jeep stuck in the mud somewhere... Call someone with an H3 to come pull you out. Oh yeah... You spend 45K on a vehicle you don't off road... Well in a snow bank... Well you probably live in southern Arizona??? Wait... Why are you buying a 45K 4X4 anyhow? for $45K you can get a Camaro SS to not off-road, and still have the 8K to fix your Hummer.

Last edited by stevelnew; 03-07-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:35 PM

Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Thumbs up

Love it!!!
Talk about a lift kit!!!
Gives a whole new meaning to off-road!!!

Originally Posted by hummerz

Old 03-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Dgl

, there is other cool 4x4 stuff, that h1 is cool on the rocks or the back top, even if its 4 miles to gal, a bigger tank is all u need.
I run my lotus at the track and its fun, but I enjoy driving the hummer on a regular drive more, change USA vehicle restritions