PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2014 hummer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by NJTEX
The Cylinder Head thing is stupid, I had that with my first one and it really pi$$ed me off, but everything else is typical.

Maybe you are a 3-year lease kind of guy?
I'd never lease! I don't like never ending payments. I take pride in ownership. Keep in mind, I've owed this H3 for 7 years. Long since paid for. I'd keep this H3 forever if I could depend on it. I mean, what do you replace a Hummer with? Seriously.

Yes, the cyl head thing is aggravating. Ask any GM owner that has one, not just H3's. As for all the other stuff being typical, I understand what you mean, as in the H3, but there is nothing typical or *acceptable* about such a plethora of issues with ANY vehicle, especially a $43,000 HUMMER! Especially right from the start!

Old 12-18-2013, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by keystone
I'd never lease! I don't like never ending payments. I take pride in ownership. Keep in mind, I've owed this H3 for 7 years. Long since paid for. I'd keep this H3 forever if I could depend on it. I mean, what do you replace a Hummer with? Seriously.

Yes, the cyl head thing is aggravating. Ask any GM owner that has one, not just H3's. As for all the other stuff being typical, I understand what you mean, as in the H3, but there is nothing typical or *acceptable* about such a plethora of issues with ANY vehicle, especially a $43,000 HUMMER! Especially right from the start!
When our's was totalled this spring, we just bought another newer one, an '09. Nothing else made sense.

If we couldn't have found a decent H3, I would have springed for an H2 and then a G Wagen instead,

Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Default common denominator; the owner

" all front axle bearings completely worn out. (I don't ever engage 4wL or lock)"
do you know your h3? what does that have to do with bearings wearing out?
no matter what mode,bearings just sit there rotating.

with so many problems by one guy and most others rarely having any, I think some must be inflicted by the driver.

I wonder if there exists a gm record of problems by vehicle.
ive driven 2 h3, admittedly lo mileage, under 70000 with zero repairs, a couple hiccups cured with the old "unhook batt trick"

maybe you got a bad one, maybe it got you!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:14 AM

I bought a 2008 a little over a year ago... From the moment I got it home... Nothing but issues. (which explains why the dealer got us in and out as quick as he did.) Before I bash the dealership... He did me right in the end.
It started off with shocks squeaking... The then the rear crome door handle broke off. Then it began to have a rough start. Even back fired and died several times. Under warranty so we took it in to the dealership. They kept fixing things like the cam positioning sensor and other things. They kept in telling us it's fixed. They could never get it to back fire on them. Everytime we got it back with in a few days it was acting up again. Finally the last time they came out and picked it up... The mechanic actually picked it up. Boom... Backfired and died. 3 weeks later they had scoped it and told us that no reputable dealership should have sold us that in the 1st place, because it had been abused.
I began calling that Chevy dealership who sold us that H3. He egnored me for a while, but he finally heard me. I stated (which was true) out of the 6 months we owned that H3, it was in the shop for close to 3 months. (always given a loaner car) In the end... I told him I wasn't trying to get out of buying a car from him, but he needed to find me a different H3. We found a 2010 from another dealership. He bought it for us and bought our 08 back. (I know I was lucky)
The last time it was in the shop they told us it was gummed up really bad. The dealership who bought it back asured me it wasn't gummed up it was just a bad valve. (they said they fixed it) He said they 3.5 and 3.7 (hummer and Colorado) where known for that issue. (1st I heard of it) By the time everything apparently got fixed, I considered that H3 a lemon.

The moral of the story is. There are lemons out there... More than likely from people abusing them, but I have own 4 H3's now and only 1 lemon which we only had for a few months. (6 months by paper)

Last edited by stevelnew; 12-19-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM

I'm not going to point fingers or make excuses, but that laundry list of problems sounds very atypical. Sounds like what I'd expect from a truck that was used for desert racing on the weekends or otherwise abused.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Happythree, your assumptions that its all my fault are baseless and offensive. As long as we are going to play this game, lets all ASSume that your other car is a Prius, you voted for Obama and you believe guns kill people and spoons make people fat.

I dont know why you cant accept that the H3 is and has been plagued with issues since its inception. Like I have been for so long, you are in denial if you think this is a perfect and flawless vehicle. It is universally known that the 2006 is a disaster.

And yes, I'm fully aware of the mechanics of the drive train and just about ever other aspect of the H3. You are wrong. The bearings do not just "sit there and spin". They have axial loads being exerted on them contstantly. There are tremendous forces at play here.

Bottom line, my H3 is a poster child for 06 models plagued with all the common problems. I treat it with respect and the greatest care and I drive like I'm on a Sunday afternoon stroll. I never abuse it. Don't blame the owner. Blame the maker, GM!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Skeptic, I bought it NEW and I live at the coast of SC and it always been garaged and *never* off road! Why do you guys feel so free to assume that I have abused my pride and joy that I spent $43k on? I'm a 50 year old aerospace engineer, not some 20 year old punk living off daddy's money. I'm seeing a lot of denial on this topic.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM

"all front axle bearings completely worn out. (I don't ever engage 4wL or lock)"

I quoted you because I don't see why low or lock would/ could cause extra,out of usual front axel bearing wear. beyond just hi open mode.

if that "laundry list?: was typical of h3's there would be thousands of guys saying the same thing. it just aint happening, sorry if it bothers you.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 AM

I think it's ridiculous that a mechanic cannot find the problem with the shaking. Is it still doing that? Have you checked all the front end components? the rack. all steering components? Or is it an engine vibration? Clean TB, maf sensor, purge valve, coil packs, plugs. etc.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 AM

I'm at 135k on my 07 Lux. The first issue I had was with the heater blower resistor thing. I called Hummer and got great response. They had a Cadillac dealer put in an upgraded part that fixed it up right and kept me from having to try to solder anything... and they did it for free even though I was way out of warranty. The biggest problem I have has is having to replace the transmission at about 110k. Yep, it left me stranded on the side of the interstate when the trans completely fried. Luckily I have AAA Premier so had it towed the 150 miles home. The transmission shop found a completely destroyed transmission. No warning. No symptons. Just POW! The diagnosis... the trans cooler inside the radiator ruptured and sent hot coolant into the transmission! Can hardly fault the transmission for that. So I got a new GM transmission with all the latest updates. Piece of mind to carry me farther down the road. Had to replace the MAF sensor last week. Overall, great truck! I am not a huge fan of what GM has done politically either, but I do love my Hummer and I run the tires off of it - both on road and off. I have looked around and can't think of anything I can rather have than my old H3.

Quick Reply: 2014 hummer?