PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Problems with H2 Trannsmission slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Default Problems with H2 Trannsmission slipping?

03 Hummer H2 with 50K miles

The service 4wd light comes on everytime I drive for the past month. Felt lots of hesitation. Brought to a tranny shop, they said there is nothing wrong with the transmission and the hessitation i was feeling was the engine misfiring. that was about 2 weeks ago. just now i got home and when the truck shifts into third gear the engine revs very high without any acceleration. Could this be a solenoid? Whats wrong?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Banned

Might be a silly question.. is there enough fluid in it?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM

and have you ever changed the fluid?
________
Xxx Amateur Movies

Last edited by olfart; 04-03-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Check to make sure there is not ATF in the coolant bottle or coolant in the ATF. That is about the mileage my 03 radiator went bad and took out my trans.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM

The first time the service 4wd light came on i checked the fluid and it was low so i added about 2 quarts. Its actually a little high now. I bought the truck with 50K miles on the ticker about 6 months ago. Has 55K now and I have not changed the fluid just added that two quarts. I assume since 1st and 2nd work without an issue that its not bad fluid. Again that is just my assumption

Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

Too much/too little fluid can do FUNKY things with transmisisons. Did you register the fluid correctly? I'm not sure the exact method on the 2, but usually you have to check when the motor/trans are up to operating temp, and while the vehicle is running. TOO MUCH fluid can blow seals and stuff out. I'm curious to know why the trans was low in the first place.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 AM

85 is right.. trans fluid has to be almost spot on for the full mark. Too much & it can give grief. You are actually better off having more towards the add mark than to be over full.. (not be be confused with having it below the add mark..)..

Also some misfires can cause screwy things or for it to feel a bit like the trans may be slipping.. Contamination of the fluid, burnt fluid, clogged filters & other stuff can also cause grief too.. J

Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM

I know this may sound silly but change the fuel filter, My mother inlaws Tahoe was doing the same thing and could have sworn it was the trans. come to find out the engine was starving for fuel and hesitating which was actually keeping the trans from shifting properly. Its cheap and worth a try for 20 bucks.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mioduz
i checked the fluid and it was low so i added about 2 quarts. Its actually a little high now.
I would strongly advise correcting that straight away.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Default 08-H2 Stuck In Second Gear

Hello All, and thank you in advance for your help or advice... Here go's: I have a 08 H2 (6speeed automatic) and the truck has been freaking out. 25k miles it started and now @ 31k and this has happened 4 times in between this mileage: the truck would be running fine, then while driving down the road, all service light would illuminate, then state service traction soon, the get stuck in second gear, as the only forward gear. Reverse, park work, would not shift manually with steering wheel mounted controls or from floor shifter, leaveing only: Park, reverse, or 2nd gear. Then would let it sit over night, the check engine light would be the only light illuminated when restarted next day, and would shift fine through all gears..........?????

The dealer: I've had it to the dealer ALL 4 TIMES... ugh... They've claimed to fix it each time, but I am slowly loosing my faith. first the fule sending selinoid, and cleaned valve body in trans, cleared codes. then the wiring to trans and cleared codes, then another selenoid of some sort, cleared codes, last but not least, ignition switch and accoding to dealer, was told to re-grease all electrical connections, clear codes and send me home...

Now I am afraid to rely on my H2, (why we all have them right) and take my family on cross country trips. ANY ADVICE OR KNOWLEDGE WOULD BE HELPFUL thanks in advace and reading this long questions..

Quick Reply: Problems with H2 Trannsmission slipping?