Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.
View Poll Results: Do you experience this noise "cold and in neutral position" ?
yes
50.00%
no
50.00%
not sure
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

2009 H3 transmission noise when cold "Auto Transmission I5 3700 Engine"

Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Default 2009 H3 transmission noise when cold "Auto Transmission I5 3700 Engine"

my H3 makes a noise when the transmission is cold

2009 Auto I5 3700 engine

but ONLY when transmission is cold and in "Neutral position"
it doesn't make the noise in Park or any gear

so, startup in park = no noise
shift to neutral = noise

after warm-up there is no noise at all whatsoever

anyone experienced similar situation?

btw it's not freezing cold here or anything temperature would almost never drop below 50'f or 10'c

I can't recall if it does this in summer or not

I am sorry I can't describe the noise pattern and I didn't rev it up to check if it's rpm related or not "i'll never rev it up anyways when it's cold I leave it plenty of time to warm-up "

any ideas?

Last edited by a7m1; 11-19-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mine doe not make noise.

However, it does create a condition that looks like this:

I can't describe it, you can't see it, but maybe somebody knows what it might be?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Mine doe not make noise.

However, it does create a condition that looks like this:

I can't describe it, you can't see it, but maybe somebody knows what it might be?

?? there is nothing to see

I am starting to think that I have some internal transmission issue? (oil pump/ torque convertor? any one ) ?
since I assume oil only circulate when transmission in neutral but not in park

but it goes away when it's warm which make me surprised !!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:10 PM
rsc

Probably a pump or maybe just a gummed up valve. Drive it til it goes bad.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by rsc
Probably a pump or maybe just a gummed up valve. Drive it til it goes bad.
when you say pump you mean the wholeTC assembly,?

car has only about 45k miles was driven by a lady, we know the owners

does any one else get noise in neutral but not in park?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 AM

I can listen to mine today, I'll let you know.

But it's now around 30 degrees so it tends to make a few extra noises when it's freezing outside.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by norinco3264
I can listen to mine today, I'll let you know.

But it's now around 30 degrees so it tends to make a few extra noises when it's freezing outside.

thanks, I am looking forward for your result,

startup then shift to neutral and listen
shift back to park and listen

good luck

Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by a7m1
when you say pump you mean the wholeTC assembly,?

car has only about 45k miles was driven by a lady, we know the owners

does any one else get noise in neutral but not in park?
TC assembly? Nope, not the Transfer Case. The gear pump up in the front of the transmission housing. I dunno, just guessing in the dark. Automatic transmissions are full of angry pixies and dark magic.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by a7m1
?? there is nothing to see
My point exactly. Think about this for a second.

Asking a question about what you perceive to be a "noise", we cannot hear it, without describing it, is pretty much useless information.

More than likely what you are hearing, and I got no friggin idea since we can't hear it and you can't describe it...., is the racket caused by VVT engines in cold start strategies. You think there is a noise because the sound changes depending upon whether load is placed upon the front clutch-hub is rotating or stationary.

Another point, modern fuel injected engines require no "warm up", turn the key and go is how they work. Doesn't matter if it 0 or 100 degrees F.
However, fuel economy will nose dive if you are stabbing the throttle before full operating temp is reached because of several factors, one because of cold start strategies, the rest because gear lube (diffs) and fluid (T Case and Trans) are thick in extreme cold. In other words, starting your car and letting it warm up is wasting fuel that could be propelling your vehicle down the road while it is warming up.

Heated seats and remote starts are for pansies. Name:  86.gif
Views: 19984
Size:  2.8 KB

Old 11-20-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
My point exactly. Think about this for a second.

Asking a question about what you perceive to be a "noise", we cannot hear it, without describing it, is pretty much useless information.

More than likely what you are hearing, and I got no friggin idea since we can't hear it and you can't describe it...., is the racket caused by VVT engines in cold start strategies. You think there is a noise because the sound changes depending upon whether load is placed upon the front clutch-hub is rotating or stationary.

Another point, modern fuel injected engines require no "warm up", turn the key and go is how they work. Doesn't matter if it 0 or 100 degrees F.
However, fuel economy will nose dive if you are stabbing the throttle before full operating temp is reached because of several factors, one because of cold start strategies, the rest because gear lube (diffs) and fluid (T Case and Trans) are thick in extreme cold. In other words, starting your car and letting it warm up is wasting fuel that could be propelling your vehicle down the road while it is warming up.

Heated seats and remote starts are for pansies.
thanks for all the clarification,

my warmup isn't really long or anything

when i first started driving 4 years ago, i would warmup for 15-20 minutes

in this hummer i would just wait for the idle to drop slighty and shift into drive and try to be light on the throttle it would try and shift at 2000 rpm when it's still cold but after 1 minute it'll shift at 1500

when i drive my 2013 camaro ss 6speed manual that transmission is pain to shift when it's cold ( again it's never dropped below 50f) it will grind every gear or refuse to shift

that engine is aluminium(not sure the whole thing or just heads or whatever)

it takes quite long time for oil temp to reach normal operating temperature

but as soon as you shut it off it'll start dropping temperature immediatly,

iron engines don't do that

so i basically let everything warmup for say maximum of 5 minutes if i am not in a hurry otherwise 30s to 1min and drive gently for 10-20 minutes then i may feel free to floor it

no thanks, heated seats is a stupid idea made by manufactures it's useless i don't want my seat heated even if it's freezing outside

my seats are cloth so they wont be cool as much as leather anyways

i am against remote start at all means

so u think VVT engine will make noise under load when cold ? are you sure? this will make me relieved

i'll try to get a recording and yes i should have started with the recording to begin with i just don't want to mess with it more and screw up with something in the process (i don't want to inentionally listen to the sound just to prove my point or get indicators about the problem )

i may take the risk and record it or just leave it to warmup

thanks again

Thanks rsc too,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 H3 transmission noise when cold "Auto Transmission I5 3700 Engine"