Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2007 H3 Won't start!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Default 2007 H3 Won't start!

Hi, newb here. I have an 07 H3 that is turning over but won't start. Wait 15 mins and it starts. The ****ty part is I bought this for my wife but she won't drive it because it happened to her aswell. So i've got a beautiful blue paper weight in my garage because I don't feel like being stranded either.

Ive seen in some forums that its the ignition switch but I don't see that it worked for anyone. Any feedback is appreciated. The truck is only under its remaining powertrain warranty. The bumper to bumper is done.

Please assist!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM

If the "Lock" icon is illuminated on you instrument cluster it is likely the ignition switch not sending the proper signal to the BCM and therefore it thinks somone is trying to steal the truck so goes into anti-theft mode. That is why it restarts after 15 minutes. Under these conditions, there are numerous examples on this and other forums of the ignition switch being the source of the problem. It is good place to start looking.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Default thank you

Thank you! I got the part today. Hopefully install it this week.

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
If the "Lock" icon is illuminated on you instrument cluster it is likely the ignition switch not sending the proper signal to the BCM and therefore it thinks somone is trying to steal the truck so goes into anti-theft mode. That is why it restarts after 15 minutes. Under these conditions, there are numerous examples on this and other forums of the ignition switch being the source of the problem. It is good place to start looking.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 AM

2006 H3 28k miles
Did it fix the problem ? i'm having the same passlock lighting up in the dash , No Fuel pump buzz ..just cranking , waited the 10 theft differ minutes and starts like brand new, .
Was it easy to replace the ignition switch . will order one this week . Very frustrating to be stranded for 10 minutes..

When is GM going to post a recall on this ????? All H3 are having the same problem . My cylinder Head was replaced under warranty @23k miles ... that's a BIG one !

Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 PM

Hey, this happened to me tonight. I could hear the fuel pump turn on though. I ended up disconnecting the battery for about 20 seconds and when I reconnected it, it started fine! I'm going to buy an obdII tomorrow to see if there are any codes, but in the meantime are there any other common causes of this problem?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 AM

I had pcmforless.com turn off the passkey fuel cutoff when they programmed my PCM. Now, if the lock triggers I can still start and drive my H3

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3Willie
Hey, this happened to me tonight. I could hear the fuel pump turn on though. I ended up disconnecting the battery for about 20 seconds and when I reconnected it, it started fine! I'm going to buy an obdII tomorrow to see if there are any codes, but in the meantime are there any other common causes of this problem?
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...bumping-23221/

Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by H3Willie

More than likely your problem is at the connector to the ignition switch. I have had an intermittent problem also and just wait exactly 10 minutes and it restarts.
Anyways I will be replacing my ignition switch, and clean the connector to the switch with electrical contact cleaner, and lube with dielectric grease( I use Nyogel 760G on all my electrical connections) . Amazon has the switch for $33.81 with free supersaver shipping. (ACDelco D1403G for M30 RPO -4 Speed Trans) There appear to be 2 different switches, 4spd or 5spd. According to Mitchell it calls for 1 hour to replace, or in my case approx. 4 beers. GL

Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 AM

@doc olds,, sorry, won't happen again.. To the others, thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by soutcaliH3
2006 H3 28k miles
Did it fix the problem ? i'm having the same passlock lighting up in the dash , No Fuel pump buzz ..just cranking , waited the 10 theft differ minutes and starts like brand new, .
Was it easy to replace the ignition switch . will order one this week . Very frustrating to be stranded for 10 minutes..

When is GM going to post a recall on this ????? All H3 are having the same problem . My cylinder Head was replaced under warranty @23k miles ... that's a BIG one !
Yup..I never know when mine will not start on me. Last year I drove it once for fear of gettn left somewhere. Will crank just fine but once it decides not to start, it wont. One time it wouldn't start for a week. Luckly, I have an Explorer I run around in as an extra and a member of AAA plus just in case. Im still not sure whats causing this. The mech sez he cant tell anything till it does it..well, that's just it, I never know when its gonna do it. So in the meantime I have it stored in a warehouse till I can find someone brave enuff to tackle it. Anyone else had this prob?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 H3 Won't start!