PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 shadow green h3

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:49 PM

Yes that is correct . Is there any reason why I should not buy a 06 hummer ? And just get a newer one ? Of course newer is better but I feel I would be content with a 06 because it doesn't seem they changed to much on the newer ones ? I only care about reliability differences which they all seem really reliable. While I been hardcore researching these things get decent mpg comparing it to other real sized suvs not little honda crvs. Which I don't get when people say it's a Gass guzzler

Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM

Once again thanks for the replys back . First forum were I actually get legit responses .

Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 PM

My '06 was a 5 speed and so is my '09 Adventure. I've always had a preference for a manual trans. The H3 radiators have been known to blow coolant into the auto trans cooler and cause catastrophic tranny failures. 3.5L to 3.7L was a noticeable improvement on the highway especially up hills, but not earth shattering.

Attached Thumbnails 06 shadow green h3-img00211-20111026-1707.jpg  
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM

Okay so that's good I would be in the clear with a stick . And yeah that's what I was thinking it's noticeable but for me not enough too actually forget about a 06 . Delta88 how long have you had your 06 and how many miles ? Any issues or anything ?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bnutt
Okay so that's good I would be in the clear with a stick . And yeah that's what I was thinking it's noticeable but for me not enough too actually forget about a 06 . Delta88 how long have you had your 06 and how many miles ? Any issues or anything ?
I traded my base '06 for the '09 with just over 100k on it. I never had any serious problems with it despite what you read about. It was very reliable. I know more about H3s now than then, so I might have been more picky with the '06 but it never left me stranded.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:47 PM

How are the parts for these things they use a lot of the canyon and Colorado parts right ? So I'm assuming regular maintenance is on the cheaper side ? I'm stuck with 80 dollar oil changes and top dollar parts because I have had German cars . I'm just wondering.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:47 PM

And yes already researched this stuff but I feel that it's better if I get some info from owners .

Old 08-21-2015, 11:29 AM

I'm stuck with 80 dollar oil changes and top dollar parts because I have had German cars . I'm just wondering.
German cars!! That's a subject I know ALLLL about.. Having gone from my VW MK5 GTI I feel your pain!

The H3 is so much easier to work on than those Das Auto. You don't have to worry about crappy timing belts and $600 DSG tranny oil changes every 60k/mi. I run Mobil 1 synthetic in my H3 but that's a preference not a requirement and it's super easy DIY to to oil changes yourself. I have done a fair amount of DIY maintenance on my H3 and I estimate about $2000-$3000 saved in dealership labor by doing that.

As far as engine and drive train parts those are not too difficult to come by for the common things. H3's only share like 10% of the same parts as the others. Body parts and most aftermarket accessories are the hardest to find. Though there is a pretty good community-based offering for aftermarket fixes. My advice is check the service history, look at all of the front-end bushing closely for play and rot, radiator for any cracks and smoking during cold starts. If you run into any issues have the dealership fix them before you run out of time, or compensate repair costs by asking for a lower price for personal sales. H3 is a good truck overall, easy to DIY most repairs and a reasonable maintenance schedule with a timing chain and non-interference engine. Go 'Murica!

Last edited by delta88; 08-21-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:15 AM

Okay you totally kicked the *** out of my question first off . They look fairly straight forward to work on too. My mini I have to take the whole front end up to get to the engine not doing that would be great lol.

But I haven't worked on or had anything past a fwd drive train and I was under the hummer today the bushing and everything looked update and good . Not a once of grease or oil on one bit of the this hummer either. But the underneath seemed like it did have surface rust . Is this common on these vehicles ? My last vehicles have been painting underneath by the factory so I never had this issue before so I am just wondering that is all . I haven't seen or read about hummers being known to have rust issues I'm just asking being this deal is starting to seem to good to be true so it has me back stepping . Thanks for all the help

Old 08-23-2015, 08:55 AM

But the underneath seemed like it did have surface rust . Is this common on these vehicles ?
Light surface rust is normal. The two spots you really want to look extra close at would be the rear leaf shackles and under the rear passenger doors. The rear shackles seem to be in a good spot for a constant sand blasting thanks to the rear tires and under the rear doors get wet often thanks to the front tires. I live in the North East US, so every fall I undercoat with Fluid Film. No major rust issues to speak of yet.

Quick Reply: 06 shadow green h3