PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 shadow green h3

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 AM
Default 06 shadow green h3

Okay I know I'm sounding like a complete newbe but I been looking into hummers for a bit now and I have been reading a lot . I know this has been answered before so don't be too harsh now .

So I recently came across a 06 manual shadow green h3 I really liked the green and I never seen the green before . Is this color that rare ? Another question I couldn't really fine was how is the manual on a day to day basis . Right now I have a mini cooper jcw(I know it's a big leap now). But it's more sporty then practical for me since I am a die hard fisherman/outdoors type of guy. I test drove it and it felt smooth as butter but I have never driven a bigger vehicle thats was stick just little sports cars. I am looking to have this for a long time now so reliability comes to the question. 20k miles ago it had a new head done by the dealer and the engine bay looked brand new I was impressed.

How's the tranny for these ? I read the first manual tranny had defects then I read the manual Trans were a very reliable gmc tranny ??? Another question is how does the body hold up are these vehicles known to get rusty like some jeeps ????

It has 70k and my main concern was the head issue does this issue come back or when it's fixed it's fixed for good? Overall the hummer was by far the cleanest ones I have seen the engine bay was once again fans tic . I just would like have some opinions from you guys on here about what you think . I know the mpg is going to be completely less then my mini but that was an impulse buy and now I am taking my time and trying to have something I will keep for a while . Thank you guys for the feedback .

Old 08-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

The "head issue" you refer to is a fixed and it is fixed. The defect was that 3.5L motors built before 03/31/2006 did not have properly hardened valve seats. All motors since do, and the fix is to replace the head with a post 03/31/2006 head with the hardened valve seats. In other words, if the valve seats are hardened, the "head issue" is corrected.

This is not to say that the vehicle cannot suffer from some different valve train issue later.

Manual trannys are fine.

The green was a 2006 only color, and while I like it, I personally would lean towards an 07 with the 3.7L in any different color.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM

The Hummer H3 with a manual transmission will have the AR-5.
The AR-5 is a 5-speed manual transmission by Aisin and was designed for longitudinal engine applications.

It can also be found in the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice and Isuzu Trooper. We had a manual H3T as a DD and loved it. As with any manual stop and go heavy traffic sucks.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 AM

Thanks for the replys back . I would wait for a newer one with the 3.7 but the deal seems really good from the dealer . With the common issues that some h3 get it seems already fixed from the carfax.
Yeah well that's one downfall for a manual you get use to it after driving stick for years now lol. It was easy to drive and idk it may just be me but I would prefer a manual with these small motors it didn't seem as sluggish but it's still a dog no matter what you do .

Old 08-20-2015, 09:56 AM

After getting back into a automatic 2006 H3 from a 2006 manual I really miss the manual. While I far exceeded the design parameters of the vehicle (and manual transmission) all things considered it was a great transmission.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:03 AM

Okay well that's great to hear and how about the shadow green ? I seen on here that's it's pretty rare but idk hummers to much. I understand it's the only year they made it but I just want to know because that would be a plus in my books . Thanks for the reply guys

Old 08-20-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bnutt
... how about the shadow green ? I seen on here that's it's pretty rare but idk hummers to much. I understand it's the only year they made it but I just want to know because that would be a plus in my books .
Yes, the Shadow Green was only available on 2006 H3's.
Mine is a 2007 with Slate Blue, another limited color.
I don't see many compared to white, black, gray ones.
I like my unique color.

There are cons with a 2006 that might outweigh the unique color though.

3.5l vs 3.7l (there is a difference)
Window controls on the driver's side on the flat vs on the slant of the arm rest (you don't realize the difference unless you sit and try working the controls)

Old 08-20-2015, 03:18 PM

What's the difference from the 3.7 and 3.6 I know there's the power difference which really doesn't bother me Its slow but not dangerously slow were I can't get on it and go if needed . But other then the power any other differences as in reliability or anything else ??? And yeah I realized about the door panel controls but lucky I have a good pair of t Rex arms so it wasn't a big issue I'm a pretty small guy .. but anything I should shy away from a 06 ?? I can wait to get a newer hummer but the price is right on this one .

Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 PM

I have driven newer hummers just to put it out there I feel as if they are pretty much the same . Yes the 3.7 has more power but not enough to just forget about a 06 model

Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 PM
rsc

The manual 06 may feel like it has a bit more pep than a 3.7 automatic. The Trq curve is actually fatter than the 3.7 in that 65-70 mph range and the manual is very slightly lower in final gearing. Of course, the auto downshifts and runs to Redline faster.

I like the green and I like manuals. The AR5 got a bunch of updates and changes for use in the H3. I wish it had a bigger friction plate, but haven't seen that it's really been a problem though.

Last edited by rsc; 08-20-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 06 shadow green h3