PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

06 H3 Passlock Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Unhappy 06 H3 Passlock Security Light

OK so I've had my H3 for 2 years with no issues other than the annoying wind noise like many have had until just recently. I've seen some threads about H3s not starting but didn't know if anyone has had any corrective success from taking it in to the dealer since most threads are pretty dated.
Here's what happens. Randomly the security light will come on steady while driving. If I turn the car off and back on it sometimes goes away and may or may not come back on. It just bothers me because is comes on randomly. Seems like always when I'm in a rush somewhere or the most inopportune times. And seems to be occuring more and more often. On 2-3 occations I have (like many in other threads) started the car to quickly and not completely thereby triggering the passlock (security light flashes in this case). The manual talks about waiting approx 10 min then restarting. That has worked everytime so far but there is always that thought of what if it doesn't start after 10 mins.
I guess my questions is has anyone seen this in their H3? Has anyone had this issues corrected? How? My biggest concern is getting stuck somewhere and I'm thinking something is up with the car since I haven't changed any habits and this just started happening. Any help would be appreciated.

JV

Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 AM

I have seen it once in my 09 H3T. I started it and the pass lock light stayed on, after about 45 sec. I shut it down and waited about 5 sec. restarted and it went away. I called a Hummer service rep and he said that once in awhile if the vehicle is started in hast, the system doesn't recognize the key and the pass lock turns on. He also said he has seen cases when the lock button on the key fob gets bumped prior to or during start up and that can cause it as well.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 PM

Thanks. I've been very deliberate with the key and starting the H3 since I've been having this issue, but it still seems to come on periodically. I think I'll try my wifes key for a while and see if that helps any. My dealer is 2hrs away and it'll take a whole day to get it fixed (if they can fix it).
JV

Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Smile Fixed

OK:
So I took my H3 to the dealer last week and he replaced the ignition and reset the security lock. Apparently that all it took. No issues for a week...So far!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 PM

I'm happy to hear you got your problem fixed. Annoyances like that are tough to tolerate.
I try to keep these issues in the back of my mind in case it happens to myself or others.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM

Same problem here, it took 3 times to get it fixed with me begging them to change out the passlock module.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM

When this problem occurs, unless a remote start is installed that may cause issues, it will always be the passlock cylinder and NOT the key. H3 keys are drone keys only, meaning they have no electronic parts or resistors at all within the casings. The tumbler cylinder itself monitors the rotation of the key and sends out an "all Safe" signal to the control modual. While it is possible to "rush the system", they are designed to be instantaneous and will need replacing per the dealer. The dealer likes to put off anything they can make excuses for, or cannot diagnose per a code reader. The other possibility would be slightly worn key bumps and rizers. each key is vehical specific. They may be worn enough to not trigger the system but still alert the vehical. a new key could fix the problem fast and cheep if your truck is out of warranty. But its mor likely the cylinder is not reading properly to begin with.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM

Hasty starting and more so when its raining does it for me. Might be time to check the sunroof tube.
I found that shooting some graphite lube into the ignition keeps the problem away for awhile. Just sharing this temporary fix as I sit here wasting 10 min before I can get outa here lol

Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
Hasty starting and more so when its raining does it for me. Might be time to check the sunroof tube.
I found that shooting some graphite lube into the ignition keeps the problem away for awhile. Just sharing this temporary fix as I sit here wasting 10 min before I can get outa here lol
This is OLD news----> REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH, & CLEAN THE PLUG CONNECTOR TO THE SWITCH ONLY.

No need to replace the ignition lock cylinder! No need to use graphite! No need to replace the key! No need to stand on your head while turning the key!

Get to the root of the problem----> Ignition switch replacement & clean/lube the connector.....EASY FIX
To much resistance there=intermittent security lockout!

Worked for me over a year ago, NEVER a problem since.

Last edited by hummerz; 01-28-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM

I jsut had PCMofNC turn off the ignition disable when programming my PCM. Now if I get an ignition cylinder failure I am not stuck for 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: 06 H3 Passlock Security Light