PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Is there a tailgate/swing away spare lock available?

Old 04-28-2007, 05:43 AM
Default Is there a tailgate/swing away spare lock available?

Sorry to barge in on your club here.
My wife has a co-worker that bought a 2006 H2 SUT last summer. She would like to find a means of locking the tailgate and or the swing away spare, to secure anything she might have in the bed.
Is there such a gadget available to meet this need?

Old 04-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Default RE: Is there a tailgate/swing away spare lock available?

Steve....Whether you LIKE IT OR NOT....You ARE part of the "CLUB"!!!!

Name:  smile12.gif
Views: 654
Size:  3.0 KB

But....Yeah.....About your QUESTION.....I DUNNO, Sorry!!![8D]

Old 04-28-2007, 03:47 PM

[sm=welcomesign.gif]Lol like Bob said, you are part of the club![sm=welcomesign.gif]

Some SUT owners should beable to leave you some responses, give it a day.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Thanks, HummBob and Choco, for the warm welcome. I guess that I will just have to wait a little longer for the magic answer.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:56 PM

Welcome to the forums Steve!

I have been looking for the same thing for some time with no luck. I would like something to lock the spare, then you don't have to worry about the tailgate.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 AM

I've never seen anything for the bed (minus thelocking cover)...I guess I never looked, but can you even open the back if its locked up w/ a locking tonneau cover on the top? Seems like it'd be pointless to have a lock if that were true. Second, I've seen a locking tire carrier...once...but I have no idea who the supplier was. Most of those folks stopped making them when they started to come standard...

Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Hummer Guy

I've never seen anything for the bed (minus thelocking cover)...I guess I never looked, but can you even open the back if its locked up w/ a locking tonneau cover on the top? Seems like it'd be pointless to have a lock if that were true. Second, I've seen a locking tire carrier...once...but I have no idea who the supplier was. Most of those folks stopped making them when they started to come standard...
I am not sure if you can access the bed when the tonneau cover is locked. My wife's co-worker claims that a locking tailgate or spare tire carrier is needed to secure the cargo even when tonneau is locked.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 AM

Even with the tonneau cover locked, you can pop the tire carrier and drop the tailgate.

The best thing to go with would be a locking tire carrier if one is available. Where did you see one at?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:32 PM

I happened to see a tonneau covered SUT near by so I checked it out. When the tonneau cover is unlocked, you can still open the swing gate and drop the tailgate. Now, when you twist the latch and lock it -- the tonneau cover has a latch that engages and makes it so you cannot drop the tailgate. That is, if the latchmechanism onthe tailgate was properly installed during the tonneau cover install (its an extended metal paddle that whenthelatch is engaged and locked, itrestricts back movement to open the tailgate). I tugged it pretty hard and it wasn't budging. I also tried lifting the tonneau cover a bit to see if I could scoop something out from inside w/ no avail. I suppose with the right amount of jimmying, you may be able to pry it loose...but that's the case with most locks. I think thelocking tonneau cover is as secure as that area is going to get on its own, and adding a locking swing gatewouldn't matterto someone who's going to crowbar the tonneau cover anyway.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Hummer Guy

I happened to see a tonneau covered SUT near by so I checked it out. When the tonneau cover is unlocked, you can still open the swing gate and drop the tailgate. Now, when you twist the latch and lock it -- the tonneau cover has a latch that engages and makes it so you cannot drop the tailgate. That is, if the latchmechanism onthe tailgate was properly installed during the tonneau cover install (its an extended metal paddle that whenthelatch is engaged and locked, itrestricts back movement to open the tailgate). I tugged it pretty hard and it wasn't budging. I also tried lifting the tonneau cover a bit to see if I could scoop something out from inside w/ no avail. I suppose with the right amount of jimmying, you may be able to pry it loose...but that's the case with most locks. I think thelocking tonneau cover is as secure as that area is going to get on its own, and adding a locking swing gatewouldn't matterto someone who's going to crowbar the tonneau cover anyway.

That sucks.................So what your saying is that the dealer did not install a piece onmy tailgate?

I got it installed after I bought he truck, and with everything else they messed up, it figures.

If that is the case, I'll take it to them and have them install it.[:@]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a tailgate/swing away spare lock available?