PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't release from Lock mode - sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Default Won't release from Lock mode - sometimes...

My '05 H2 occasionaly seems to lock up when backing out of driveway or turning the wheel about half way or more from a stop even moving forward. Usually works itself out, but sometimes need to back up, move forward, back up again, etc... to get it to loosen. I've cycled through the 4Hi, 4Hi Lock, and 4Lo Lock and I hear the lockers engage and disengage, but sometimes the lockers are engaged even when I'm in 4Hi as evidenced by the churning pavement when turning...

I've read about h3 having problems with a plastic fork in the transfer case which makes it seem like you're in Lock mode. These are exactly the same symptoms I'm having with the H2 - but don't know if the same plastic fork is found in the 2005 H2? Or if it is more severe -

I had the hubs replaced a while back and recently did pitman/idler arms. Once in a while I hear a CLUNK when turning into the driveway or elsewhere at really slow speed and it mostly, not completely, stopped after the p/i arms were replaced. Can't find any loose bolts in steering assy.

Does anyone have experience with this on the H2? Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned

first, im a 3 guy,never touched a 2.
lockers are known as the differential,like rear end.
you can have this problem even without "lockers"

in an h3 with open differentials if you get into 4hi lock you will have this steering,grinding,clunking problem. been discussed forever. its the fork or drive motor assm.
fwiw, when i engage lockers i hear nothing. only hear noise when i go to lock mode or hi lock/lo lock.
that normal noise comes from the transfer case.
in hi lock you will bind up on dry pavement.

oh,in a 3 the lockers will engage ONLY in lo lock,not high lock

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanks drtom - Do you know any H2 pros who might know if the fork is the likely culprit?

The problem does occur with open diffs - if it happened all the time, it would be one thing, but it only happens some (most) of the time...

Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

remember,when you're in the "wrong"mode there is xtra stress on the drive train,anytime you are not driving on a "lazer"straight line. you are causing xtra wear even when you feel nothing.
think about some looong sweeping turns on the open road. the outside wheels or front/rear wheels may only travel a few inches more. if the tires dont slip,where does the energy go"

drive in a circle in snow/sand. you see 4 different size tracks. all wheels a different lenght.
(i cant spell lenhgth!!)

Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Moved to the H2 section so the H2 peeps might see this and be able to help out.