Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Wiper Motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Default Wiper Motor problems

I have 2004 Hummer H2 that served me well over the years but lately starting to show signs of age.

Recently we had major rains in Southern California and somehow my wiper motor is acting up.

It started not having front wipers to work on regular speed except in the high speed only. Then the rear wiper blade will start automatically without turning them on through internal console. Today was somewhat sunny and I noticed something else.. not only the rear wiper goes off automatically, but also spraying water at the same time for few seconds and then stops.. the front wipers seem to work today normal speed, but then stopped and only works at high speed.

Local dealer quoted me $1,000 to replace this part, including the labor and sales taxes. I thought it is very steep price for something that I can do. I have a background in electrical engineering, so I know little about circuit boards, motors, etc. So I figured I should take on this challenge.

I spent a lot of time in this and other forums and found this:

Apparently the problem is related to Wiper Motor part number ACDelco 19150497. With some more research I found out that there is a specific part which is part of the above motor actually goes bad first – and its called Wiper motor pulse board part number ACDelco 19120103.

The problem so far is intermittent. One of the posts was recommending to remove and clean all the water and moisture that could be inside of this motor pulse board, another recommended to inspect the board for any defective parts, etc.. yet another recommends to replace the entire unit.

What do you guys suggest please? I found and get these parts online. Should I try to replace this motor pulse board and see what happens or should I replace the entire motor with this same board? Or there may be something else I should try?

I can see that replacing the motor with this board is relatively easy. But I am not sure how difficult it is to replace the pulse board? Are there any pictures or videos that can show how this is done please?

Any help will be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 AM

Metzlyov,

I recently had the same issue. In my case the wiper modules burned out from long life and a lot of usage (l live in Seattle) also from corrosion, apparently the module housing cracks over a period of time and water gets in. When the models get cracks the wipers will malfunction during and after heavy rain falls.

The advice you received above, is sound. But it might be to late to save the module, unless you have the skills to remove it, open it, clean it, and repair any corrosion damage. If not, replacement is your only solution.

I have 120K on the our H2, so I decided to have everything replace, Models & Motors. Living in Seattle, I can't risk issues with the wipers.

I have a great mechanic who is far on pricing...cost my about $600 for parts and labor. From my research these modules are hard to access, otherwise, not too difficult to R&R.

Good luck.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Thumbs up

Thank you much for the reply.

My H2 has 103,000 miles and I agree it is time to change the entire piece.. both the motor and the pulse board.

Here is another question please. Does Wiper Motor part number ACDelco 19150497 come with both the motor and the pulse board already on it or do I still need to order the second part ACDelco 19120103 separate?

Please let me know and thank you in advance.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 AM

I replaced the pulse board on my 2003 and it solved the problem. It's not a hard job.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 AM

Hi
I have the same problem. Ordered the module from amazon $69, waiting for it to arrive. This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEj0S3RxaZc may be useful

Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Very useful video.. thank you.

Due to age and use of the motor, I figured I will change the entire unit - both the motor and the control module combined. Little price, but still much cheaper than if I had local dealer to do it. Paid $231 including the shipping and it is coming from a dealer in Texas.. should be here by Monday. The rest should be straight forward.

Here is a question - before replacing the entire module, of course we have to unplug the cables.. do we need to unplug the ground cable from the battery before we do that and then plug this ground cable after the device is changed?

I read something about this in a different forum, but I am not sure if it is a must.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 AM

Disconnecting the battery is always a good idea.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:49 AM

Finally received the motor yesterday. Took me about an hour to swap the part and it works! Thought about changing the board on top of the motor, which was recommended and I concur that it would have worked. But motor has a life expectancy of approximately 15 years and internal gears and coils can and will fail at one point. So I did not want to take it apart again in the future and change the motor when it failes. Rather change the entire part, including the board.

Cost for the part was $232 including shipping costs and I got it from a dealer in Texas. Local dealers were dictating $400 plus for the same exact part.

Bottom line it worked and I wanted to thank you all for participating in this thread and making their recommendations.

Thank you!

Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Default Wipers

I just bought a 06 H2 and on the way home from purchase the rear wiper came on as did the washer fluid, pulled the fuse when I got home and thanks to this tread I ordered the circuit board through Amazon, should be here Wednesday...

Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Default wipers going haywire

Well I got the wiper module from amazon and installed it and everything is working as it should. The cowl was a PIA to take off but once I figured it out it only maybe a hour all together. Thank to this tread, you guys rock

Quick Reply: Wiper Motor problems